Author Topic: where did she go ?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline wendy clark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where did she go ?
« on: Sunday 11 September 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace what happened to Sarah Dotchin born 1908 in Bannockburn, she was the daughter of my Gt Grandfather James Gordon Dotchin & his 2nd wife Lizzie Dotchin nee Shields. The family story goes that she left home, after a row, saying she was going to London, in 1924 age 16 and was never heard of again, my Gt Grandfather moved many times, being a miner and died in 1954 in England , having never heard from his daughter again. I have looked on free bmd can see no marriages or deaths that match up, where do I go from here? please.

Wendy Clark
Crabb middlesex
Dotchin
Miles
MYLES
Clark Middlesex
North Middlesex

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where did she go ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you checked Scotlands People for a marriage?  She may have stayed in or returned to Scotland but to a different part

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kab1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am the granddaughter of Sarah Dotchin. Her mother Lizzie died in January 1925 and we believe it was shortly after that she left to live with her mother's sister Annie Legg. Sarah trained as a nurse in London. She later married Hector Boyle, my grandfather and settled in and around Glasgow. The family story handed down to us is rather vague - Sarah I think found it painful and difficult to talk about. I believe she felt a sense of abandonment from James, her father, but it's not quite clear in what way this manifested itself. I'm not sure if it had something to with the way she felt her father treated her or her mother. We never got the full story.

I would be very interested if you could help me trace the Dotchin line backwards from James. I've tried to piece a few things together about his parentage but the evidence is fragmentary and inconclusive. Also, do you happen to know the meaning or provenance of the name Dotchin at all?

P.S. Are you descended from James's first (Beatrice Miles) or third (Jane Duff Scott) marriage?

Kind regards.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
Also, do you happen to know the meaning or provenance of the name Dotchin at all?

Looking at BMD's on freebmd - the name seems to be very prevalent in the North East

www.freebmd.org.uk

The 1901 Scottish census shows James Dotchin was born in England c 1874

Births March qtr 1874   
DOTCHIN    James Gordon        Gateshead    10a   918

GRO search shows no mothers maiden name which may suggest he was illegitimate.  His Scottish marriage cert should confirm this and show his mothers name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)