Author Topic: where in Down ?  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Kim Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: where in Down ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
My grandfather was Robert Mcgarva from Wigtonshire
 Im the daughter of his daughter Elizabeth who was born during WW2 to Marjorie Holmes and we didnt know him till 1974. Martha Annie was his mother and his illegitimate father was Claude Hyman. He was jewish.. Robert Alexander Mcgarva  was changed to Mcgarvie i. 1855 he married Elizabeth Wither . Roberf had 7 siblings Thomas Elizabeth and 5 others.  Robert married Maggie  Mcgarva  nee Anderson  in jan
 They  apparently had 10 kids . That's as far as ive got. Hope it helps.
Kim

Offline graham4045

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim
My great grandparents were Robert McGarva and Margaret (Maggie) Anderson.
My grandmother (their daughter) was Grace McGarva (known as Daisy) and her sister was Martha Annie. So Martha Annie's son Robert would be my father's 1st cousin. My grandmother Grace married and immigrated to Canada from Glenluce Scotland in 1919. I have a lot of information on the McGarva family (some siblings used McGarvie and some used McGarva).
Let me know if you are interested.

Offline Kim Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes absolutely interested.  We know so little about that side of my family. Thanks for your reply always nice to find kin xx
Robert Alexander McGarva born in 1855 and married Margaret Anderson.  They had Martha Annie McGarva in 1891 and my grandmother Grace McGarva born  1894 after Martha Annie.  My father would be your grandfather Robert's 1st cousin.

Love to hear from you to connect re our families. My father talks about an Aunt Anne. Not sure if that is your G grandmother.

Awesome im keen . I think aunty Annie is Martha Annie Mcgarva . My mother says she was always called Annie. Love to hear all and great to find family