Author Topic: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON  (Read 24193 times)

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON
« on: Monday 12 September 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Please can someone help me trace the dates of death of William BURTON and Susan JENNER who married in the registration district of Orange NSW in 1878.

They had three daughters: Ada (1879), Dora (1881) and Ellen (1884)

There are Orange registration records for the death of a 'Susan Burton' in 1884 and a 'William Burton' in 1891. I just wondered if they were the same two who married in 1878?

If there are any cemetery records showing them buried together it might be a clue.

Thanks  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have copies (or transcriptions of) any of these NSW BDM documents please?

Have you tried TROVE digitised newspapers at this link
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
There are not Memorial Inscriptions at ORANGE CEMETERY for your people.

This does not mean they are not buried there, merely ,they do not have headstones to give further clues.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you any knowledge about the death in 1882 that was registered for the Dubbo district for a Sarah BURTON, with parents given names indexed as William and Susan .... NSW BDM online ref #6012.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the certificates as I've only just started to look into this.
I saw on "another website" that someone has listed Susan's date of death as 27 March 1884, seven days after the birth of her daughter Ellen.

There are not Memorial Inscriptions at ORANGE CEMETERY for your people.

Thanks for letting me know, Sue.

Have you any knowledge about the death in 1882 that was registered for the Dubbo district for a Sarah BURTON, with parents given names indexed as William and Susan .... NSW BDM online ref #6012.

I hadn't seen that!. I couldn't find the corresponding birth on NSW BMD. Either it was a child of the same family that died at birth or there is another William and Susan Burton in the area. That will complicate matters.  :-\

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 11 13:09 BST (UK) »
Deleted - wrong information!   :-[
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
JAMES and PHILADELPHIA  JENNER had a number of children in the 1840's and 1850's and the district for the birth of at least one is ORANGE.

SUSAN"S birth does not appear on the index.

Her death
REG 12835 IN 1884    BURTON    SUSAN
    Father JAMES
    Mother PHILIDEPHIA
    ORANGE

The probable death registration for her mother was at ORANGE

REG 11176 In 1883    JENNER    PHILADELPHIA
    Father THOMAS
    Mother SARAH
    ORANGE

This information only suggests there was a JENNER  family link  to the ORANGE district. Some details match your people.

Certificate purchase will be the way to confirm things.

Sue     

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I suggest that at least one NSW BDM document (a transcript will be fine) that could solve the mystery.   The one I am thinking of would be the d.c. for the Susan BURTON that you mention.  EDIT TO ADD, and Sue has kindly given you the reference details from the index.

The d.c. gives you the spouse name and date/place of the marriage of the deceased, and the names and ages of the living children of the deceased and notes any children who were already deceased.  It also gives you the names of the parents of the deceased, and the cemetery for the burial of the deceased.  There's other pieces of information also.  Of course the information on a d.c. is only as reliable as the informant's own knowledge, but it seems to me that if that d.c. for 1884 is for your lass, then the informant was most likely her husband.  

Here's the RChat link about Transcript Agents .... transcripts are cheaper and can arrive into your email inbox and contain all the information on the "real deal" certificate.

Transcription Agents
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 02:44 BST (UK) »
May I speculate please...

At the NSW SRO online Index for Squatters and Graziers there's :

1845,  J. Jenner with TWO stations, both in the Bathurst - Wellington district .... both associated with a William Henry Wright.  These properties named as Wolandra and Gogodneygeery.  There is NO copy service associated with that index at present, so someone would need to attend  the SRO  to view and copytranscribe that part of their film.  Perhaps J Jenner was managing the properties for William Henry Wright, however, the contents of that file should provide those answers.   

So then I looked at the NSW SRO index for LAND I found mention of a William Henry WRIGHT as a Lieutenant, 1838-9.

Next I found a William Henry WRIGHT's appointment as a Magistrate and the Commissioner for Lands in the Wellington district 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12414802 SMH 7 June 1843

This is all speculative on my part, and somewhat tenuous at the moment, and may well have no bearing on your Susan Jenner.  The NSW SRO index info is simply a possible clue to be followed up once you have validated your research for her.   

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/

Cheers,  JM