Author Topic: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON  (Read 24186 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death - Orange NSW - William BURTON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
What has happened to the rest of this thread? I had a message to say it had been 'split'.  The title now only mentions William BURTON but the first post still asks about Susan JENNER as well?   ???  ???  ???

Quite a co-incidence that there appears to be another Philadelphia JENNER  having children with father Isaac JENNER at around the same time as James JENNER and his Philadelphia (occasionally shown as Philidephia on indexes).  The Isaac couple seem to be in Armidale for some of the births.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
I am also wondering the very same question as Judith....

Cheers Judith, from a very confused JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
I am wondering whether JAMES and ISAAC are the same person???

The spacing of the births to PHILADELPHIA look probable and there are no 2 the same year.

I can only locate one death for a woman of the name on the indexes.

They arrived in Australia in 1853 per Meteor for Sydney / Newcastle

JENNER   Philia Aged 23

JENNER   Isaac Aged 26
Reel 2136, [4/4791]; Reel 2465, [4/4934]

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Well, perhaps ELSTEAD1861 will be able to enlighten us as to what has happened . He/she is sure to be online again soon ;D

I do not think any postings are missing, are they?
 ??? ::)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your continued support. I am very grateful for the ideas that you have suggested.

May I speculate please...

Please do, JM! I have only just started looking at the Burton-Jenner family and I hadn't heard of the NSW SRO online Index before you suggested it.

They arrived in Australia in 1853 per Meteor for Sydney / Newcastle

JENNER   Philia Aged 23
JENNER   Isaac Aged 26
Reel 2136, [4/4791]; Reel 2465, [4/4934]

I also found James (30) and Philadelphia (27) Jenner arriving with two daughters aboard the Earl Grey on 24th June 1841. So they are about 15 years older than Isaac and Philia Jenner. Not sure if this helps.

What has happened to the rest of this thread? I had a message to say it had been 'split'.  The title now only mentions William BURTON but the first post still asks about Susan JENNER as well?

(I'm not sure why the thread title has been altered. I put in both surnames to trigger any subject line searches on BURTON or JENNER. Is that incorrect protocol?)

Unfortunately, according to the NSW BMD index, the death certificate for William Burton doesn't have his parents listed. I guess I might have to speculate and buy the certificate to see if the informant is one of his three daughters.

I'm off to look at the newspapers as JM suggested  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:09 BST (UK) »

(I'm not sure why the thread title has been altered. I put in both surnames to trigger any subject line searches on BURTON or JENNER. Is that incorrect protocol?)

Elstead, like you, I am just an RChatter, just been a member for a while longer than you, but not as long as many others, so I am not aware of any protocol that you may have, even inadvertently, infringed, and I am confused as to what if anything was SPLIT off, or why there was an alteration to you heading...

Let's just assume there was some kind of "hiccup" in cyberspace and that we all paused, held our breath and got rid of the "hiccups" ...  I feel sure that if there was something seriously wrong, the Moderators would handle it differently.

May you find lots of interesting things on the many indexes at the NSW SRO ... its fantastic ... well that's what I think...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
The probable death registration for her mother was at ORANGE

REG 11176 In 1883    JENNER    PHILADELPHIA
    Father THOMAS
    Mother SARAH
    ORANGE

Thanks, Sue. Just following up on that, I am guessing that her parents were Thomas Harvey and Sarah Shoesmith. Philidelphia was baptised at Mountfield, Sussex, England on 5th November 1915. She married James Jenner at Mountfield on 8th October 1831. (All information from IGI - I haven't seen the actual registers)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
I confirm that in 1878 William Burton was enrolled in the electorate of ORANGE, qualification to enrol "residence" and situate "near Orange" 
And on same roll, three by the surname Jenner ...
William, residence : King's Plains
James, Junior, residence : Byng
James, Senior, household : byng

Cheers,  JM

Offline Elstead1861

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
I confirm that in 1878 William Burton was enrolled in the electorate of ORANGE, qualification to enrol "residence" and situate "near Orange" 
And on same roll, three by the surname Jenner ...
William, residence : King's Plains
James, Junior, residence : Byng
James, Senior, household : byng

Cheers,  JM

Thanks for that, JM. Please may I ask for the link to that roll (was it on Trove)?

I found the following entry on the NSW Assitant Immigrant Register 1841
James Jenner
Arrived by the Ship Earl Grey
A Native of Mountfield Sussex, son of William, a sawyer, dead & Susanah Selmes in this Colony
Age on embarkation 30 years, 2nd May 1841

William Gennes (sic) married Susanna Selmes on 20 Oct 1800 in East Sussex, England (Source: IGI)

I also found a James Jenner in the NSW BMD index
8505/1878    JENNER    JAMES    AGE 72 YEARS    DIED ORANGE    ORANGE

Might be the same person