Author Topic: WILLIAM SULLIVAN BIRTH about 1846  (Read 4022 times)

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM SULLIVAN BIRTH about 1846
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I guessed you would know. Just to be sure - these were both RC churches in the 1868 - -  period? I had a look but it seemed to me that there were no parish churches for the period I was looking. Clearly I wasn't looking in the right places.

If confirmed then does this mean the archives hold the Parish BMD records? Or just records of the Church itself? Hopefully you confirm yes and then I can plough on there while waiting the other archives to complete their office move.

Thanks again for your help.

Erin
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
they are not parish churches as such. Parish churches implies the established church, the Church of England even in Wales at that time. C of E wasn't disestablished until 1920. 

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=33&coll_id=76221&expand=

If you open up the link, it shows what records the archives hold - baptisms from 1836, marriages from 1856.

St Peter's was opened in 1861, baptisms start that year, marriages a year later.

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=33&coll_id=76219&expand=

So, baptisms & marriages for both, no mention of burials. Cathays cemetery opened in 1859, so burials likely to be there after that date. I'm not sure what you mean by parish bmds or church records. Churches only produce church records. Copies of marriages will also be at the registrars after civil registration. Also after the start of civil registration, burials couldn't take place without a death certificate. So, in theory, all deaths should be registered. The onus of registering births wasn't on the parents at the start of civil registration, but on the registrar. Not all births were registered, but from 1874 there were fines for non-registration. This is from Devon but has good info for all counties

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/family_history_3/civil_registration.htm
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again. I meant Church records - Just in the habit of using the phrase Parish as I have looked at so many birth and marriage records lately and they normally show the Church and I tend to link Parish and Church.

I did read somewhere that people were a bit resistant to the "laws" of registering initially. Might explain my missing William SULLIVAN in the civil register.

Thank you for all the links ,  hopefully I can now find some more of the SULLIVAN side of my family and their story.

Erin
(An Australian NOT enjoying the British Summer)

Offline LukeU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 September 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,

I have recently started tracing my tree and have run into a similar (or exactly the same actually) roadblock.  I have been able to to trace my grandfather's tree back to James Sullivan, born in 1874 and the son of William Sullivan (my great-great grandfather) and Ann Donegan. 

I was wondering if you had had any luck in going back further than William at all?

Cheers,

Luke

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 September 18 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Luke
Not really. I have not looked recently. I will check my records. I believe that the marriage of William and Julia is our William and Ann.Have you had any luck with James siblings? Are you in Australia? Have you access to Ancestry as my tree is there.

Offline LukeU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 September 18 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erin.  My mother has also been researching and has found birth records for two of James' older siblings (his brother Daniel and his sister Mary Anne).  Both of those records also note Ann Donegan as their mother.

Yes, I am in Australia and have an Ancestry membership.  I'll have a look for your tree there, thanks!

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 September 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Luke,
I also have the birth certficates for James and siblings. My tree is Private so when you find it ask for access in ancestry. Luke do you realise that James is my Grandfather? So drop me a line in ancestry about family links. Is your mother Anne?

Offline LukeU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 September 18 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erin - yes, that is me!