Author Topic: Herward or Hereward of the Hollymount/Roundfort area  (Read 17553 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Herward or Hereward of the Hollymount/Roundfort area
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
See this link too
http://genforum.genealogy.com/halloran/messages/304.html
Hi, im new to this but i have recently been looking up the family tree as my grandmother is 100 yrs old this week, she was mentioned in an earlier post, Mary Herward (now Hyland ) was Pakes sister and she is still going strong, she is my grandmother :-)

Wow, does she have any knowledge of anyone called Martin Herward ?

I've got a lot of info from Mary (my grand aunt) who has just turned 100 for the tree over the years and also from church records, etc, and we don't have a Martin in our tree.

It is possible I've missed someone though. Maybe you can supply more detail and I can check if he ties in anywhere?
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline Herward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 August 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry took me a while to reply. My tree shows Martin Herward marrying Mary Beaty around 1830 in Ireland. I think their children were Ann, Mary, Patrick  Catherine, Michael and John. I think our strand runs from John who married Ann Simcock. They seem to have Martin, John, Catherine, Mary, Ann, Margaret, Sarah and Winifred. From there, Martin was in Stoke, England where family has continued to live. He died in WW1.

This is info I have gathered from looking at this intermittently - mixed confidence in whether I have fitted it together right. I think family members left Ireland for USA or England At the time of the famine.

Offline HEREWARDJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 May 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Correction to a comment made

Hereward/Herward family haven't left the Hollymount/Roundfort area.

Pake's son PJ Herward  (Patrick Joseph) is still there. When Pake passed away he left the farm and house to PJ. He operates his business from there, but lives with his family in Galway. 

PJ corrected the spelling of Herward after some research into it. His children go by Hereward

Offline Herward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 May 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Great to see a new herward/hereward  post -we must all be connected  somewhere in the trees !

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. It's a while since this thread was stared but we live in hope ...
I'm researching my Herward/Hereward Galway ancestors and wondered if anyone has had a DNA test?
My kit# A401145 please feel free to contact me.
Regards Patzy
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.