Author Topic: Herward or Hereward of the Hollymount/Roundfort area  (Read 17558 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Herward or Hereward of the Hollymount/Roundfort area
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
And I should add that Pake's sister Mary is actually still alive and resident in the Kilmaine area, she is the last of that generation of Herewards.

She will be 99-years-old on her next birthday and is in great form, always ready to supply info in regard to the family tree.

She doesn't know any more info on the Patrick Hereward I am researching though other than what I have posted above.
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline bherward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious about you interest in the Herward line. I am a Herward in the US. I'm starting to research the family line as there are only a few of us.  It's taking some time to find records, but it looks like the  family came from County Mayo, or nearby ( there are some records from Galway). I'm trying to clear up the US connection; there have been a few name changes here in the records (Harwood for example), but I've been able to clear them up. I was told by my father that the old name was Hereward, but he was not sure when the change was made. My family came over in the 1800's as Herward, probably because of the famine. I'll keep this page handy in case our research crosses paths.

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi bherward, thanks for replying to this thread. If you are tracing a Mayo line, then we are almost certainly connected - given it's such a rare name.

In my line, I've found some of the family [siblings] going by Harwood, Herwood, Hereward, Howard and Harewood.

There are other Herwards in nearby Clonbur which is in County Galway, but I haven't managed to connect to them yet, though I would assume there is some connection if we could go back far enough.

I have recently found further information for my line. My GG Grandfather Patrick [born 1835, married Mary Conroy, b. 1836] Herward's father was James Herward [b. circa 1789] and James had a brother named John Herward [b. circa 1790]. John was a widower, I don't know if he had children but would like to follow that line further.

James can be found in Griffith's Valuation at the Lindsay Estate, Capaquila, Davros, Hollymount, Co. Mayo, Ireland.  His brother John, who was a ploughman, was living and working at Mount Jennings, Roos, County Mayo. 

There is a marriage record for the Protestant Church in Kilmaine, County Mayo, for a Henry Herward to a Mary Burke in 1744. I haven't been able to connect to these yet but was surprised to learn there were Herwards in Kilmaine for that long.

We have always assumed there was a religion change from Protestant to Catholic but haven't figured out if and when that happened yet.

As regards my GG Grandfather Patrick Herward [b. 1835, d. 1875] who I had been told died following a stone to the head, I have finally found newspaper articles to confirm the story which had been passed down through the family.

Find attached. [first name incorrectly written as 'John' in first article]

Copyright images removed

Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline bherward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
as far as the religion change, here's what I've seen. The Herward line can be traced to Ireland to about the middle 1700's with a few records. Most are from the 1800's. I found two marriages of Herwards in England, around 1666 and 1660. Thare are many records of Herwards in England in the 1400's and 1500's. So, more than likely, the name origin was originally English and was brought to Ireland. As far as the different names, no suprize. In my life, I have gotten mail as Herward, Howard, Herwood, Haywood, Hayward and so on. If we can't get it right now, it's no suprise people had changes back then, especially since the literacy rate was so low. All version stem from "hay ward" or the keeper of the field. Much like shepherd means the ward or watcher of the sheep.
Anyway, I'll keep looking and I'll see if the line connect. I'm sure they will; you are correct in how rare the name is.

Offline Herward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Very interested to see this thread. According to my very patchily prepared tree I think John was married to Ann Simcock and they had children, one of which was Martin who was my great grandfather.  Have a look here http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/791430/

Our Herward family line seems to trace back to Martin Herward, married to Mary Beaty in Ireland around in early 1800s.  I thought they were parents of John, Patrick and Michael.

That said, I dip in and out of the tree so not absolutely confident beyond the web link above !

Offline Herward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:14 BST (UK) »

Offline jamsar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
See this link too
http://genforum.genealogy.com/halloran/messages/304.html
Hi, im new to this but i have recently been looking up the family tree as my grandmother is 100 yrs old this week, she was mentioned in an earlier post, Mary Herward (now Hyland ) was Pakes sister and she is still going strong, she is my grandmother :-)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 22:37 BST (UK) »
See this link too
Hi, im new to this but i have recently been looking up the family tree as my grandmother is 100 yrs old this week, she was mentioned in an earlier post, Mary Herward (now Hyland ) was Pakes sister and she is still going strong, she is my grandmother :-)

Hi, I have recently gained more info on our family tree.

I'll send you a private message now with my e-mail address and I can e-mail you on an overview of our family tree if you wish.

Offline Herward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
See this link too

Wow, does she have any knowledge of anyone called Martin Herward ?