Author Topic: LUCAS-WHITE Guernsey marriage *COMPLETE*  (Read 2352 times)

Offline wjcooper16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LUCAS-WHITE Guernsey marriage *COMPLETE*
« on: Wednesday 14 September 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

John LUCAS (b.1829) married Charlotte WHITE  (b. 1831) about 1850, possibly in
St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands.

Their first child; John was born there in 1851, and all three appear in the 1851 census.

I am hoping that the marriage details reveal more details about John.

Thank you
England - Ackerley, Greaves, Cutler, Law, Firth, Parsons, Beckett, Lucas, Clegg, Lee, Davis, Cooper
Ireland -Hoey, Minchin
Switzerland/Italy - Brocchi
Germany - Zeiss

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: LUCAS-WHITE Guernsey marriage look up - please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
John Lucas married Charlotte White 24/6/1849 at the Town Church, St Peter Port Guernsey.  John was the son of John Lucas of Yeovil Somerset and Charlotte White (born St Peter Port Guernsey) the daughter of Joshua White.

John's age was given as 21 years and Charlotte as being 19 years.

Source: Guernsey Emigrants to Australia 1828-1899 by David W Kreckeler

A son John Lucas Born 19/2/1851 St Peter Port Guernsey, Died 24/12/1851 St Peter Port Guernsey

They immigrated to Australia in 1854 on board the "Ontario" with their daughter Charlotte White, then aged 1 (she was born in St Peter Port Guernsey) John Lucas aged 25, Ag Labourer.  Charlotte Lucas aged 23, Charlotte Lucas aged 1.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline wjcooper16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LUCAS-WHITE Guernsey marriage *COMPLETE*
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  HistoryFan,

You confirmed the information I already had, and most importantly gave me the information concerning John seniors' parent and birth place which up until now had eluded me.

Thankyou very much,   :D :D :D
England - Ackerley, Greaves, Cutler, Law, Firth, Parsons, Beckett, Lucas, Clegg, Lee, Davis, Cooper
Ireland -Hoey, Minchin
Germany - Zeiss

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
I re-read the entry from the book again and it looks more like John Lucas who married Charlotte White is being described as being "of Yeovil Somerset" rather than his father also named John Lucas.

So there is no indication where his father was from on this entry.

Charlotte White was described as being from "St Peter Port".  Her father Joshua was from Somerset.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline wjcooper16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi HistoryFan,

Thanks for the extra info.  Not much success so far with the Somerset hint.  Perhaps he was only passing through on the way to Guernsey.

Providing an extra source that verified his father's name was great.  His death record gives his mother's name as Amelia, but the only possible matches to this combination have so far proved unsuccessful.

Thank you for your time and effort.  The search goes on.
Ireland -Hoey, Minchin
Germany - Zeiss

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I had noticed that on his death record Amelia was his mother's name.

I found that John Lucas Junior was living in Guernsey by the time of the 1841 Census and boarding in St Peter Port.  I am pretty confident he was born in Yeovil Somerset.

Finding his father John is indeed the difficult part.

Kind Regards