Author Topic: Help - Scenic/Theatre Artists in 1840's  (Read 16533 times)

Offline yendis44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Scenic/Theatre Artists in 1840's
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 September 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Years ago I came across a site called   www.backstage.net.uk  which was a theatrical museum and had lots of information. I tried looking for it again, but there is now a commercial site with the same name. There must be theatrical museums in London - but living in Australia I cant help much. Try googling and see if that works.
Ransom, Goff, Rankin, Robinson, Ratt, Forsythe

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 September 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thomas Henry Pitt m. Mary Ann Skelton in 1839 - try the Ancestry database of London marriages (possibly via your library if you don't have an account) and see if he's there - might give you his father's name/occupation.

There are some Croydon baptisms on the IGI but I don't see him - perhaps they did them elsewhere or the baptism was delayed.
There is a baptism of a Thomas Henry in Hampshire at about the right time, son of George Cecil and Sophia Augusta which might make him the brother of George Dibden Pitt:
http://www.gale.cengage.com/pdf/samples/sp681623.pdf

He might then be an uncle?

The other question is, what was he doing up in Sunderland, if that's where he met Jane? (Do you know where she is in 1851?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 September 11 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Yendis & Jorose,

Jane is with her family in 1841 & 1851, living in a pub run by her mother, it seems unlikely that she would have left and met William in London or elsewhere. They must have 'got together' around late 51/52 to  have left in 53 to Australia. She seems to have had a very close family, all together in the area and in each others houses over following censuses.

Yendis, I am sure there must be plenty of Theatre Museums in London, like you I am in Aust and rely on the internet, and all you wonderful people on rootschat! The Era newspaper was the main one for theatre reviews, and I'm told, a paper called the Theatrephile, but am unable to find this one. Maybe I need an art expert too?

I have had a quick look at the Dibdin Pitt line before but will go back to this a bit more thoroughly, instinct ruled it out but I can't remember why.

As to Sunderland, previous advice says that this was part of a county theatre circuit, including Birmingham, that it is likely that William was part of. Maybe meeting Jane at the pub?

I do have a subscription to both Ancestry & FindMyPast, so will look for the marriage of TH Pitt there, the 41 census you mentioned earlier Jorose definitely indicates that he is the son/relative of Dibdin Pitt (mother Sophia). I would like to see his, or Dibdin or Sophia's will but have looked at the index for 'Pitt' wills on NA site before and not noticed these?

Thank you, Jo  :) :) :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 September 11 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thomas Henry Pitt - artist, married Mary Ann Skelton, 1839, father is George Cecil Pitt - Musician. Thanks Jorose, This is worth following.

Cheers, Jo  :) :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline yendis44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 September 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
Jo, you may have to work backwards from Australia - meaning look for any clue to his former life in England. I googled Theatrephile, threatrical paper,uk and got some info. William Pitt b. 1819 England, died 17 Jan 1879 St Kilda Melbourne. He arrived in Oz on 27 January 1853 at Port Melbourne. On google page 2 I saw a biography for William John Wilson of Dramatic Art Aust Online and wondered if William was also mentioned. He was. "An experienced scene-painter from England. Worked for many years in theatre production. He was also foundation member of Vic Acadmey of Arts before a quarrel saw him resign. I also google The Era, theatrical paper,uk and it has an excellent archive on old London theatres. You can print out pictures of them. Also East London Theatre Archives had 89 results for Wm Pitt.So its worth chasing up. You will need time - follow all the Links and search "archives" on some of those sites. Suggest you make a cup of coffee and settle in for some lengthy work.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 September 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
Yendis you are brilliant. Had tried contacting the Victorian Academy of arts - no luck. Had only tried the era and theatrephile through gale - not google! Doh! Will start following your leads now (there goes the planned housework!).
Will let you know how I go - if you're interested?
Thank you, Jo  ;D
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline yendis44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 September 11 05:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo...just another pair of eyes looking at your brickwall. This is a great site only discovered it 72 hours ago and have had excellent help with my mystery Grand Uncle. Like you I know his 'recent' stuff..just need to know his marriage and death details. He too was in the London theatre as an actor, playright and designer of theatre posters and playbills. He wrote books and has had his plays reviewed in the London Times. He was Sidney Lewis Ransom  b. 1881 Wandsworth, Surrey and had a habit of styling himself as Lewis-Ransom or mosnar yendis (his name spelt backwards). A very arty type! Yet he has disappeared from UK Census from 1891.His plays were staged at Terry's Theatre and Prince of Wales Theatre, London. I will now keep an eye out for your William Pitt  as I trawl through all those theatre sites. Maybe you will watch out for my Sidney?
Thanks Yendis44

Offline yendis44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 September 11 05:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jo forgot to mention that the Theatrephile copies are also on Ebay but only recent ones for 1980's. It possibly is worth searching for older copies of Theatrephile. I will keep up todate with your postings and check how you are going. My postings are on London Theatre.
Kind Regards,Yendis44

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 September 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Jo,
The post '53 references are 24 Dec 1854 (The Era) and 17 Jul 1855 (Morning Chronicle). Think this is T H Pitt - simply a mention of "Pitt and Turner" working in collaboration.

Too many Pitts associated with the Theatre - Charles Pitt, Thomas H Pitt, Dibdin Pitt, J Pitt, Miss Pitt, Mr Pitt and, of course, just Pitt - searching is a nightmare.

"Pitt the Adelphi" has a number of references to working in collaboration - Pitt + Telbrin/Telbryn, Pitt + Johnstone, Pitt and Tomkins. Have googled these as pairs which has produced theatrical responses. But no leads to "your" William.

An intriguing post

regards