Author Topic: Help - Scenic/Theatre Artists in 1840's  (Read 16486 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Scenic/Theatre Artists in 1840's
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Apfin,

Sorry the link no longer works, Yendis would be the person you would need to contact, as I was just browsing on her behalf to thank her for her kind help with my research, and as this was five years ago and not my line of reseRch I have no notes to refer back to.

Good luck in your search and sorry that I can't help.

Kind regards, Jo

Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 06:07 BST (UK) »
Jo, I too am searching for William Pitt, Theatre Artist who came to Melbourne with his defacto wife Jane Dixon and brother Thomas in 1853. Did you ever have any luck discovering him in BMD or Census before he came to Melbourne?
Dempsey Hogarth Clark Raftery Emery

Offline ttip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 July 21 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
William Pitt and Jane/Dixon/Huggon are my great great grandparents.
They arrived in Australia in 1853 on the ship Birman with Williams brother Thomas.
Their son Richard Brinsley is my great grandfather, his son Charles Melbourne is my grandfather, his daughter is my mother.
Regards
Greg

Offline ttip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 July 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Wm and Jane are my GG grandparents, their son Richard Brinsley is my G grandfather, his son Charles Melbourne my grandfather, his daughter Margaret my mother.
Interesting reading all of these threads.

It seems William and Jane were never married, in his will and hers and her probate, she is referred to as Jane Dixon|Huggon. We, all relatives that have done research believe they were never married, no evidence and confirmation in wills etc.
William was also an artist of many scenes in and around the Dandenong and has had paintings catalogued in Melbourne. His son Richard before going to Queensland was also an artist and went to the Victorian Arts in Melbourne late 1800s.
Williams brother Thomas wasn’t as successful as William or his son William.

Thomas went the gold mines up near Ballarat to Clunes.
He died 29th October 1869 as a result of an accident, he was thrown from a sulky, he managed to get back to his residence, McCullullochs Tourello Hotel, went to bed and was found dead in his bed the next morning by the hotel owner, an inquest was held on his death and was found to have died of apoplexy.
He was buried at Clunes cemetery in an area where strangers were buried with others in a paupers grave.
His brother William declined to claim his body, why I don’t know as he was an influential person as his son was in Melbourne.
This is refered to in the coroner’s report on Thomas’ death.
William as you know was a licensee in many hotels and theatres in Melbourne.

I have original pics of William Snr including Jane, and their 3 surviving sons, William, Richard and Charles and some of William Pitt jnr architect and his surviving children, Elizabeth Collingwood, Gladys Jessie, Vera Jane, Stanley Melbourne and William Gordon.
Where do you fit into the Pitt family?

quote author=jomcd967 link=topic=555388.msg6096643#msg6096643 date=1478722054]
Hi Apfin,

Sorry the link no longer works, Yendis would be the person you would need to contact, as I was just browsing on her behalf to thank her for her kind help with my research, and as this was five years ago and not my line of reseRch I have no notes to refer back to.

Good luck in your search and sorry that I can't help.

Kind regards, Jo
[/quote]