Author Topic: The Tomkins of Abingdon  (Read 11209 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Tomkins of Abingdon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 September 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Debbie and Alan and/or any other helper
The Tomkins Family Baptist v. Quakers has now taken a turn...

Assignment to attend the inheritance  D-X662/1/20  27 March 1720
These documents are held at Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies
Contents:
1) Nicholas Merwin of Winslow, gent, Edward Goodwin of Newbury, Berks., gent, and Benjamin Tompkins the younger of Abingdon, gent (PS a Baptist)
2) John Tompkins, citizen and linen draper of London, (May be a Quaker) Benjamin Tompkins the elder of Abingdon, gent, (a Baptist) and Elizabeth Cowslade, of Newbury, widow (Maybe a Quaker)
3) Samuel Ashurst, citizen and merchant tailor of London, and Henry Bartelott of St. Saviours, Southwark, Surrey, esq
4) Edmond Halsey of St. Saviours, Southwark, Surrey, esq

This piece of information tells me that the previously mention Benjamin Tomkins draper of Bread Street, may be the son of John Tomkins; and a nephew of Benjamin Tomkins of Abingdon Senior.
More importantly, if we look at Elizabeth Cowlsade nee Tomkins being the wife Thomas Cowslade, then we have a Quaker link:
The site passedsoon afterwards to the Cowslade family; Nicholasson of Nicholas and Katherine Cowslade was baptizedat Shaw in 1659, while in 1663 Thomas son of Thomas and Elizabeth Cowslade was registered at Newbury, the parents being Quakers. Several othermembers of the same family lie buried at Newbury,and in 1759 Thomas Cowslade of Donnington Priorywas buried at Shaw. This is probably the Thomas Cowslade, barrister-at-law.

My help this time!
Can some help with a marriage of Thomas Cowlsade to Elizabeth Tomkins; and baptisms of Thomas Cowslade and Elizabeth Cowslade who were both left money in the Will of John Tomkins Written in 1706 and Proved in 1720?

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

What a great find    :)

I've been taking a look at this one this afternoon as well - I finally took the plunge and signed up to The Genealogist so I could look at the wills.  I don't think you will find a baptism for Elizabeth Cowslade nee Tomkins,  as even that far back the family were baptists and they don't do infant baptism.  She is however also mentioned in the will of Benjamin (I) who died 1732 as his sister - spelt COUSLADE.  He also mentions his brother John Tomkins,  but doesn't give any info as to where he is living.

DebbieG
I think you may be right that

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Massinissa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Keith et alii,

I've just stumbled upon Tomkins as a surname in my family which researching in London in the late 1600's and early 1700's. I have the PCC will of my ggggg-grandmother's brother, Edward Tomkins of Whitechapel, made in 1720 and probated in 1725. In it he mentions a sister, Martha, who is married to John Cooke of Abingdon (married there I have discovered on November 15, 1696 at St. Nicholas) and brother living there named John Tomkins. With two of the siblings in Abingdon I thought it worth checking out. Another brother whose location is not given in Benjamin. Just rooting around the Internet I have discovered this is a common name for Abingdon Tomkins. If you want a transcript of the will, I'll send it off to you. If you have managed to straighten out the Abingdon Tomkins family at all, I'll love to see your progress. Perhaps mine will fit in somewhere.

God bless

John Paul Bradford

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message.

We do have a copy of this Will. For other interested persons:

I have this from Edward's Will

Edward Tomkins citizen and cutler of High Street, St. Mary, Matfelon, also called St. Mary, Whirechapel.
Burial: A man from the High Street.
Summary of Will
Edward Tomkins of the Parish of St. Mary, Matfelon, citizen and cutter of London
Catalogue Reference: Prob 11/605  Image Reference: 344
Written: 16 Jan 1723        Proved:
Properties in London: Mannor Row, Stepney; High Street, Whitechapel; and Petticoat Lane,
Wife: Elizabeth
Brothers: Benjamin, John Tomkins of Abigndon, Joseph
Sister: Mary Sarnor (?), widow and relict of John
Sister: Martha Cook, wife of John Cook of Abingdon
Cousin: Francis Bedford
Friends: Jonas Watts of Ratcliffe, Tallow Chandler; Robert Wyrilll of Rosemary Lane, Tallow Chandler.

I/We have about 8 possible siblings for him.

Will send a personal message to discuss further research.

Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Massinissa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Keith,

Thanks for the reply. This is the man. I descend from his sister Mary, who married John Harner. I can't find their marriage but they have a daughter  Mary baptised at St. Mary's, Whitechapel, in 1699. This is the only child I can find for them.

I've been reading everything I can find on the Tomkins of Abingdon. A fascinating group. They certainly present a challenge in the baptism and marriage category. With all the children of Edward's 1720 (probated 1725) will, I still can't identify their parents.

I've also been reading up on the early Baptist movement in England. This is a whole new area for me.  My email is * I'm looking forward to your thoughts and any incite into the Tomkins of Abingdon.

God bless

John Paul

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline nictomkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi i have already posted on this site, so maybe there is a link somewhere

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=595496.new

my john and sarah tomkins came (i think) from newbury to retire in Ock Street some time before 1841, they dont appear in the C1851 so must have died between those dates.

Any help welcome
Nic
Tomkins of Reading, Newbury.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic

There are a number of us who do have a few VERY ROUGH NOTES on the Tomkins of Abingdon, and Wills, which we are prepared to share.

I personally, have found one link through this John Tomkins, a Baptist, to my Samuel Tomkins, draper/carpet merchant of Bread Street, London, who were Quakers. However, we do have a lot on Benhamin and his side, the maltsters of Abingdon.

2) John Tompkins, citizen and linen draper of London, Benjamin Tompkins the elder of Abingdon, gent, and Elizabeth Cowslade, of Newbury, widow

I will send you a personal message with my email address, and we will see how we can share. We do not have the John Tomkins with a wife Sarah White, so that may fill another whole.

Regards

Keith

Offline hbw

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 July 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Abingdon Town Council has a portrait of a Benjamin Tompkins (dated 1706). You can see it online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/portrait-of-a-broker-108298

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 July 13 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you hbw for your interest and thought on posting the link to Benjamin Tomkins 1706 Abingdon.

The following fact remains my best clue in connecting the Abingdon Tomkins to my Moorfield/London Wall Tomkins, who were joiners, brokers, then carpet merchants and linen drapers of Bread Street, by 1790s.

Benjamin Tomkins of Abingdon and of Bread Street, a linen draper married Sarah Tomkins of St. Stephens, Coleman Street Parish, on 27 Dec 1756

This would/should be Benjamin Tomkins' father: John Tomkins
John Tomkins of Draper of Bread Street
SUMMARY OF WILL
JOHN TOMKINS of The Bank of England and of The Skinners Company
Catalogue Reference:Prob 11/769 Image Reference:33

This would/should be Sarah Tomkins' father:Nicholas Tomkins
It would seem that Nicholas Tomkins has died 3 Jun 1763 in Bread Street, London Wall (Cheapside). Bread Street is the address of both his brother-in-law Samuel Luck's carpet warehouse and home, and later the home of his son Samuel Tomkins.

This last Samuel Tomkins is my direct line. He married Elizabeth Ann Petch, the daughter of William Petch, a Page of the Backstairs, to George 111 [documented].

Regards,

Keith