Author Topic: 1886/5 Emigration to NZ William Legender Milburn  (Read 7873 times)

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
Re: 1886/5 Emigration to NZ William Legender Milburn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 December 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
william legender was the brother of my 4x ggrandfather james Alexander legender. they were all master mariners and originally from essex then sunderland.

you may have seen the other legender threads on here recently. we are all just connecting up!!

Diddy

Hi Diddy

Now I will go and look at the other Legender threads. I decend from William Legender the younger of the brothers, his daughter Mary married my g great grandfather Robert Milburn. This thread was about her eldest son who came here to New Zealand and died in a drowning accident.

Thanks for your replies. I'm off to search the other threads now :-)

Sally
Hyde, Driver, Hirons, Tite, James, Brockwell, White, Flawn : Northampton.
Milburn, Beardall, Legender, Hall, Beck, Wilton: Sunderland
Brown, Hall, Staig, Hood: Fife Scotland
Park, Stephenson, Lister : Newcastle upon Tyne
Beardall, Duke: Nottinghamshire

Offline kaybruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

Did you ever have any luck finding William Legender Milburn? You probably already have this but just in case you have not maybe the Papers Past, Star 20-2-1889 will help. The account of his drowning  has him as being "in the colony for four years". So he must have come out 1884 - 85.

He is buried with his uncle, Morris (Maurice) Milburn, Woolston cemetery, Rutherford St, Chch. Morris came out as a single man aboard Zealandia" 1859.

Cheers Kay

Offline George Milburn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 18 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sally
I'm currently researching my family history and I have just found your article from 2013 in the Sunderland Echo. 
Currently I can go back to my great, great grandfather William Milburn who attained his masters certificate in 1880 and lived in Sunderland.  All generations since then have lived in Either Sunderland or Whitburn.
I'm very interested to read in your article of Morris Milburn as my farther (who was born in Whitburn, Sunderland) spoke of his ancestor Morris who emigrated to New Zealand.  My brother is named after him, same spelling.
I would very much to find out anything further in terms of names dates etc that you might have.  The information in your article aligns very much with the stories my father told me of our family history.
Kind Regards
George Milburn

Sent from my iPad