Author Topic: Forfeited Medal Royal Artillery  (Read 4915 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forfeited Medal Royal Artillery
« on: Thursday 15 September 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Please can you help with my enquiry.
I have found a J. Ring (who I believe is James Ring b 1841 in Burnham, Buckinghamshire) 778 Gunner Royal Artillery who was awarded a medal for the Bhortan (Bhotan I think) Campaign but in the remarks column it says "Forfeited" what does this mean please. In later years he is an Army Pensioner.

thanks
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Forfeited Medal Royal Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.constantius.co.uk/index.php?id=1305

Think it may have been this medal....Forfeited medals usually mean that the soldier either deserted or comitted some crime and was found guilty so his entitlement to medals was withdrawn.

Indian General Service Medal 1854-95

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady,

my worst fears are confirmed, now all I need to do is find out why. Thanks for the link.

Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady,

Please can you tell me, was the 55th part of the Royal Artillery? I am afraid I am ignorant of Military matters.

thanks

Diane

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

The 55th in Ady's link refers to an infantry regiment. The RA comprised batteries, brigades and battalions - depending on the type of artillery and the period in question. His unit should be given on the medal roll.

Medals could also be forfeited because he was not in (say) the right area. The authority for the issuing of a medal would have mentioned where someone had to be in order to qualify. He may have been elsewhere.

As he became an army pensioner his record should be on Findmypast.

Ken

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

I have now found his record on FindyMyPast and thankfully he did not desert. He held 3 good conduct medals and held the China Medal with clasps for Taku Forts and Pekin (need to look at these) although he was in the Regimental Defaulters book 8 times. Perhaps this was why he forfeited his Bhotan medal.

Thanks both for your help, much appreciated.

Diane

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
You say the man who forfeited his medal was 778 Gunner, yet James Ring of Burnham was 404 Driver according to the record on FindMyPast.
Two different men, I'd say!

Adrian

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks, very naughty  :-[, didn't notice that.

That makes things easier I think.

Will look some more

Diane  :)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
Also the China Medal with the clasps you describe was issued in 01 for the Boxer Rebellion events

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.