Author Topic: What happened to boxer Kid Doyle?  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
What happened to boxer Kid Doyle?
« on: Friday 16 September 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me with a mystery regarding a British boxer from around WWI who fought under the name of Kid Doyle. He was born in 1893 at Boldon Colliery, in County Durham, England, as Cyril Austen, but after his parents died in an accident was raised by a Mr and Mrs Pickford and often called himself Cyril Pickford.
     When he turned pro as a boxer he took the name Kid Doyle and later moved to South Wales to work in the mines, living in Llwynypia in the Rhondda Valley.
    In September 1923 he was reported to be in Sparta, Illinois - and one of his daughters, a Mrs Violet Brown, was said to be living in Decatur, Illinois, fairly recently - but there are conflicting reports about the Kid since then. Some say he returned to Wales and died here, others say he stayed in the US for the rest of his life.
    I have not come up with any details of his voyage to the US, nor of any death in the UK. When he was married to Alice Price in 1913 he used his real surname, Austen, so it seems logical to expect he would have continued to use that for official purposes, whether here or in the US.
    Fingers crossed, more in hope than expectation  :)

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to boxer Kid Doyle?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Within half an hour of posting the original query, I have found an item from an American newspaper, dated March 20, 1981, which carries an account of a special celebration at Lakeshore Manor, Decatur, Illinois, to mark the 68th wedding anniversary of Cyril and Alice Austin (it's spelt 'in' rather than 'en', though that might be a case of the reporter simply not asking). The piece also talks of them sailing from Liverpool, possibly in 1922.
    Although the article doesn't say, Cyril would have been 88. Alice was a few years younger. Now that it seems certain they stayed in the US, can anyone tell me when Cyril and Alice died?
    And I'd still appreciate any info on the voyage - and if they ever returned to the UK at any stage.

Thanks again,. Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Cyril Austin appears to be on the Social Security Death Index with a death date of Dec. 1982.  You can see this for free on www.rootsweb.com or www.familysearch.org.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
WWII Draft Registration Card  27 Apr. 1942
Cyril Martin Austin
165 Mound, Sparta, Randolph Co., Ill.
No telephone
Age 48
Born 7 Oct. 1893 in Kent, England
Person who will always know his address:  Mrs. Alice May Austin, 165 Mound
Employer - Gulf Mobile and Oil mine, Sparta, Illinois
White, 5'7" tall, 150 pounds, blue eyes, brown hair, light complexion, tattoo

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shellyesq, that's brilliant. I didn't realise Family Search had such lists available - it's a long time since I used the site.
  I think the second English 1893 Cyril married to Alice and living in Illinois is just one of those amazing coincidences. The 1982 death is definitely the right man, from Boldon Colliery and born in Feb 1893.
       Cheers, Gareth

Offline elainemrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth Just thought you may be interested my father Harold is the nephew of Alice cyrils wife he knows lots about him even having stayed with their daughter in Decatur.He has many photographs and lots of details about his fights so if you want to know anything let me know.My son found this by browsing boxers.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
  Sorry about the delay in replying - just got back from a short holiday. I would certainly be interested in consulting your father over one or two points - and I would definitely love to see any pictures.  :D
  Are you/is your Dad in the UK?
     Regards, Gareth

Offline elainemrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth.  My dad would be happy to give you any info he has he lives in Porth in the Rhondda valley.Where are you from. All the best Elaine.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm in Cardiff, so I could easily get up to see him if he agreed. Perhaps you could let me have his address or phone number - best to do it via Private Message so it's not on the open forum.
     Cheers, Gareth