Author Topic: Visiting Rhode parish - pointers  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Visiting Rhode parish - pointers
« on: Friday 06 May 05 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all, after finally finding out where in Ireland my Gegans (Geoghegans) are from I am planning a quick visit to Offaly in June.  In particular to Rhode parish and the CROGHAN area.  Has anyone been over there who can give me a few pointers, specifically..

Is there anywhere local I can access the parish records for Rhode and Offaly in general?  Is there a centre in, for example, Tullamore where I can view these, without having to go to Dublin?
Are there any restrictions on viewing them locally, eg are they only open to researchers or can anyone (pay and) look at them?
I am assuming there is a graveyard at Rhode church, however, are there any other churchyards in the area of Rhode and Croghan- yes I am grave hunting here?

Actually, any useful tips would be appreciated as I only have a couple of days and want to make the most of them.  A good B&B near Croghan would be good too.

Any advice gratefully received
Lesley Gegan, formerly known as Geoghegan
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Rhode parish - pointers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 07 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Lesley,

Did you have a successful trip to Offaly in June 2005 ???

Chris

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Actually I didn't make it until March 2007 but, despite dreadful weather (horizontal sleet) I managed to get a day in the Croghan Hill area by Rhode and get a feel for the area.  I managed to get up the hill to visit the old graveyard where I suspect my ancestors are buried but the stones are so weathered they are illegible, unfortunately.  It was very poignant however.  I also identified the church where the marriages and baptisms must have taken place and, on my return, have found the name of the parish priest whom I intend to contact to see if there are any burial records for the old graveyard.  Although I didn't manage to do any actual research as I was a bit rushed, my partner not sharing my interest, I was very glad I had the chance to get to the actual village.  Typically, on my return, I managed to track down where the smithy my ancestor worked in used to be in the village - two weeks too late - however, I can picture in my mind the crossroads although there is nothing there now.  Strangely, we sat at that crossroads for at least 5 minutes at one point deciding the best way to go, totally unaware we were actually sitting right at my ggggrandfather's house.  Spooky!!

Next time I go over I will go on my own and spend more time, including some time at the archives.  Now all I have to do I find where my other Irish relatives were from, it only took me 10 years to find the Geoghegans!!!

All the best
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 07 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya Lesley,

Your complaint about your partner not sharing your interest is quite a common one 8) Offspring not being interested in the history is another common complaint. How about pursuading your partner to join Rootschat ... possibly posting on the boards in the Common Room and gradually progressing to the boards where family history is discussed ... the Common Room and then the Beginners board might be the route to go 8) That way you might not need to come to Ireland on your own the next time 8)

Chris

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
Chris I have managed to get him slightly interested in archeology (he was very keen on Newgrange, which is why we stayed in Meath) and Mozart but have no luck with family history.  I am going to quit while I'm ahead.  A possibility is dumping him in the pub in Dublin all  day while I am in the archives but we shall see....
Take care
Lesley