Author Topic: Marriage which may have been in India  (Read 13828 times)

Offline m_m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage which may have been in India
« on: Saturday 17 September 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site so hope I'm posting this in the correct place. I am trying to find some marriage information. I was doing quite well with my research until I hit a stumbling block with the marriage of an uncle to a lady from India. It is possible that my aunt 'anglicised' her name to make it easier for us to pronounce, but, because I don't know what her real name or maiden name was I cannot find their marriage certificate. I have my uncle's death certificate and my aunt's name is on there but it does not show her maiden name. I know my uncle travelled to India as I found his name on a ships passenger list, and, from memory I know he lived there with his wife for a few years before they both came to live in England. Can anyone give me any advice on where to look next please?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage which may have been in India
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Any idea when the marriage might have taken place?

Did they have any children? birth certificates will show mother's maiden name
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline m_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey, no there were no children and I don't have a specific year for the marriage. The ships passenger list shows that my uncle travelled on the ship 'Chusan' on 1st October 1960, but I don't know if my aunt and uncle had already met and married. Plus, I was always led to believe my uncle had been a policeman in India, but I've discovered he was a security officer - so some misleading information and it hasn't helped with my research.

Thank you for such a quick response to my question.  :)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
H,
Gro records are available for British Nationals Overseas  marriages and references are available at www.findmypast.co.uk.
Was his surname Houghton by any chance? (only security officer i could find aboard the Chusan October 1960)
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline m_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi cath151, wow! Another fast response, thank you. Yes, my uncle's surname was Houghton. I'm a member of findmypast but I've had no luck with finding any information on this particular marriage. The stumbling block is definitely not knowing my aunt's (possible) real first name and last name. I believe they were married though - they wouldn't dare be anything else where his father was concerned as he was strict Roman Catholic. I've been looking through India's immigration/emigration records but still having no luck. Maybe if I write to the Indian embassy they may be able to help, otherwise I'll just concentrate on the rest of my relatives and come back to this later. I would like to solve the problem now though.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
I expect you ve found it but the only marriage on FindMyPast in Indian Subcontinent is the one in Nowshera in 1933 for a W H Houghton but his brides name is very English.
Could he have been born a W H?
Cathy

Offline m_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi cath151, I don't think my uncle had another initial but I don't have his birth certificate at the moment. According to my uncle's death certificate he had only one first name. His wife's name was Donna (with a possible middle name or surname of Esta but I'm not completely sure of this). Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated. 

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

If you look on www.familysearch.org there is a Nestar Dona Maximano born 29 Sep 1905 in Bengal which would match the birth date given on the death reg of Donna in 1987.
Cathy

Offline m_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much - I've been searching under 'Donna' including variants but it didn't show anything for me. I was under the impression my aunt was born in Calcutta. I will take a look now and once again - thank you, I really do appreciate your help.