Author Topic: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941  (Read 13944 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hugh would be best placed to tell you what medals he is entitled to. However this page will give you some idea.
 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/merchant-navy-medal-application-form

The MCA may need proof of the voyages he made, (they keep changing the criteria)
If so you can download the different vessels voyage record card from the BT389 series at TNA.

Example. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=f%20j%20wolfe&_cr=bt%20389&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Seaweed. I don't think I qualify as next of kin. I'm a full blood niece but there's a full blood nephew still alive. However reading through the info you've kindly sent I think he qualifies for the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Pacific Star and War Medal. Best regards, Yvonne

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I think that he probably does qualify for the medals you have suggested but you will need to send in the completed application form along with supporting documentation requested in the form - copy of death cert etc - the movement cards for each of the ships in question along with a copy of the CRS 10. The MCA will then assess that entitlement.

For Seaweed, I also note that they appear to have updated the qualification criteria so I must revisit my dad's entitlement - thanks for the heads up. I will contact them as the information regarding Falklands medal entitlement appears incorrect to me.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 22 November 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hugh. I do have most of that data except the ship movement cards. I got that info from this marvelous website  http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/. But Seaweed has sent me the link at the TNA so I can send for those.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your time and knowledge. Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all I now have a lot of info about my uncle Albert Stansfield b 2 June 1915 in Salford who was an engineer in the Merchant Navy. But I have some gaps that I'd like to fill.
From manifests and his CRS10 I’ve learnt that he joined the merchant navy between June – November 1938, joined the Pool in June 1941 and left the Pool and the Merchant Navy in February 1946.
Also from his CRS10 I have very good detail of the ships he served on during his time in the Pool while from the manifest of the Aquitania I know he was sailing to join the F. J. Wolfe in September 1939 and from his Pouche I know he left the F.J. Wolfe in June 1940.

But I have two gaps in his service:-
From when he joined in 1938 to June 1939
From June 1940 when he left the F. J. Wolfe to June 1941 when he joined the Pool.

I have contacted the Southampton City Archives requesting a search of the “Central Index Register of Merchant Seamen 1918-41” for Albert but they have no info. Because he continued to serve after 1941 his records should have been transferred to the TNA and therefore be in his Pouche (which I have and they are not) or they were destroyed in 1960’s.

Does anyone know of anywhere else I may look to fill in the gaps?
Thanks for your help. Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
He would have been in and out of the Pool throughout the war - seamen registered with the Pool in-between ships and this also ensured continuous employment which was a vast improvement from May 1941 onwards.
From this period you only have his CRS 10, merchant seaman's pouch and Crew Agreements to track your man. I advise you try and obtain the Crew Agreement for CHRISTIAN HOLM O/N 171462 for the year 1941. Looking online there is no 1941 record but it is probably in with 1942 as she did not arrive back to the UK until 1942 when the CA would be deposited at the MMO. So you want to look at 1942 and search around June 1941 for his entry which hopefully may show his previous ship - it should be held at Kew in piece  BT 381/2208 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11053621 

Also look for the CA for F.J. WOLFE O/N 167373 for the year 1940 which should be held at Kew in piece BT 381/1209 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11043600. Again it should, with a bit of luck show any previous ship.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 13 January 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hugh I'll try to trace those two crew agreements. Fingers crossed. Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 14 February 19 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,
Just to let you know I requested the Crew Agreements that you suggested and The National Archives have sent them for the CHRISTIAN HOLM and the F.J. WOLFE. From the CHRISTIAN HOLM I've learnt that Uncle Albert's previous ship was the GEO. W. McKNIGHT she is an oil tanker transporting crude oil and fuel oil from the refineries in Aruba near Trinidad. So that fills in one gap in his career. The F.J. WOLFE listed his previous ship as "the same" so he was on her from 2 Oct 1939 to 19 Jun 1940. There was no CA for the trip starting Southampton 2 Oct 1939 and returning to Southampton 9 Nov 1939 so I don't know which ship he was on before than.
I believe that he joined the Merchant Navy in the second half of 1938 and we've found him as a passenger returning to Liverpool on the RMS Antonia on 25 Jun 1939 from Montreal. I assume that he's left an oil tanker in Montreal.
Do you think it's possible to find which oil tankers docked in Montreal during the first half of June 1939 and so make an educated guess at which ship Uncle Albert left or do you think this is too much to hope for?
Any further ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help, Yvonne