Author Topic: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941  (Read 13945 times)

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Yvonne,
His records will be held in the Fifth Register of Seamen - these files are held at the National Archives in Kew.
His Seaman's Pouch is here: BT 372/281/9 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8174927
His main service record from Jan, 1941 will be his CRS 10 held at Kew in piece BT 382/1701 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10989926 best to obtain this file from Kew as it is difficult to obtain online.

When he sailed as a passenger it appears he was to join ss F.J Wolfe in New York. I also have him aboard ss COMANCHEE and SCHUYLKILL in 1943 and GREYSTOKE CASTLE in 1945. His CRS 10 should confirm.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hugh,
Thanks for your speedy reply. You've given me lots of leads to follow. Thanks again, Yvonne

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
I have received the attached National Registration Card for my Uncle Albert from TNA but I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.
Under section Spare 1 there is the note 1939-43 ???? Ribbon Received. I assume this is recognition for his service during WWII. What would these ribbon look like?
I believe that he joined the Merchant Navy in 1938. Can anyone explain the dates listed on the card?
It is stamped that he left the Merchant Navy when he'd completed his war service. Would this be as per the date stamp 21 Jan 1946?
Thanks for any help. Yvonne

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,
He would have left the Merchant Navy when his CRS8 was issued but yes the date would have been around that stated.
He served throughout the war so would have been entitled to more medals than the 1939-45 Star. His medal file does not appear to have survived so his next of kin could apply for them. If you need details please ask. 
Attached is the 1939-45 Star and ribbon.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
It looks as though the documentation you have came from his Seamans Pouch. If so his Seamans Pouch should also contain details of his MN service 1938-1941. Have you details from his Form CRS10 from BT382 as outlined by Hugh? I would agree his medal entitlement should be more than 1939-45 Star.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh and Seaweed. Apparently that's all that was in his Seamans Pouch. I am waiting for his CRS10 and BT382 to arrive, estimate from TNA 1st Nov. Perhaps that will help explain the dates.
Thanks again, Yvonne

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain the dates listed on the card?
Looks like it is folded over but I think the dates refer to ration cards and books issued and also clothing coupon books issued.

I am waiting for his CRS10 and BT382 to arrive
They are one document. The CRS10 - his record of service - is held in BT 382.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 October 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
So he would have to be onshore on those dates. I should be able to check this against his CRS10. Thanks for keeping me straight. Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I now have a copy of my Uncle Albert's CRS10. Copies attached. His war service is from October 1939 to February 1945. I know he served on the following oil tankers F.J Wolfe, Christian Holm, Schuylkill and Comanchee. They all sailed in the Atlantic. He completed two sailings on the Greystoke Castle carrying general cargo. The first sailing was in the Atlantic the second was September 1944 - February 1945 through the Panama Canal visiting ports on the west coast of South America.
Could you please advise me which medals he should be entitled to? Thank you, Yvonne