Author Topic: Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown family of Dunfermline  (Read 13355 times)

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown family of Dunfermline
« on: Monday 19 September 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all,

I am searching for descendants of Thomas Campbell (coal miner) born around 1799 in Dunfermline, Scotland & Marion Brown born around 1798 also in Dunfermline. They were married about 1819 in Dunfermline. Any help with their dates and place of deaths would be appreciated. Its possible Thomas’s parents may be John Campbell of Dunfermline & Jean Brown of Torryburn, but not 100% sure? Marion’s parents could have been Thomas Brown and Elizabeth 'Betty' Williamson both of Dunfermline but not 100% sure? Any more info about Thomas’s career as a coal miner in Dunfermline would be appreciated also.

We think Thomas & Marion may have had the following children.

1. Agnes Campbell
2. Elizabeth or Elisabeth Campbell
3. John Campbell
4. David Campbell
5. George Campbell
6. Thomas Campbell
7. William Campbell

I was given a copy of an 1841 census showing the family living at Milesmark Scotland, not sure where that is exactly.

We need help finding out if any of the 7 children listed above got married, especially interested in Elisabeth/Elizabeth, or if there were any other children or grandchildren born to any of the 7 children listed above?

Kind regards,

Stephen

Copyright image of 1841 census removed - Transcription can be viewed on the freeCEN website[/blue]

http://www.freecen.org.uk/

Thomas Campbell age 45 Fife
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown family of Dunfermline
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this your family in the 1851 Census    Thos Campbell  aged 56 born Dunfermline,  Marion Campbell aged 53,
William Campbell aged 18, George aged 12 and Robert aged 9. living at Balmule, Fife.  There could have been a misprint concerning Balmule.

The 1861 Census has Thos. & Marion living with Robert 18 and their granddaughters Marion Bonar aged 18 and Betsy Bonar aged 13.  They are living at Rumblingwell Toll, Dunfermline Fife. 

The 1871 cewnsus - There is a Marion Campbell aged 72, living at 6 Blackburn, Dunfermline, Fife along eith Peter Brown aged 2.

Regards,
Weemanswife

Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Scotlandspeople has a death for a Marion Campbell (nee Brown) died at Auchtertool, Fife aged 79 Year 1877.

Weemanswife
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
Dear weemanswife, thanks very much for the info, all these new names you have posted are very helpful and new to me.

I wonder if the BALMULE mentioned in the 1851 census you have, could it refer to Balmule the link below?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jih/

I also found a coal mining map of Dunfermline and have now discovered where Milesmark is located. I had no idea there were so many coal mines in Dunfermline.

Regarding the 1861 census you found with the family living at Rumblingwell Toll, Dunfermline, I can only find what looks like a suburb called Rumblingwell just down the road from Milesmark.

Would the word Toll refer to something else, say a Toll booth? Was there a Toll Booth or an Old Toll House in
in Rumblingwell Dunfermline?

I found a Jean/Jane Ramsay who at Census: 1881, lived in the Old Toll House, Dunfermline. It appears she could be connected to the Bonar/Bonnar you list above, but more research needs to be done on this. 
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holder/mirror/2WebRamsay.html

Also found this site to be very useful to me, http://www.dunfermlineheritage.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=111

Regards
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen See tips here, to avoid this:
Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!

England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)

Offline jspg10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

Noticed you are looking for descendants of Thomas Campbell and Marion Brown they are my g.g.g.grandparents and I descend from their daughter Agnes. I recently found the death certificate of Marion Brown and her parents are Thomas Brown and Elizabeth (Betty) Williamson.

Regards Jean

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
G'day Jean, thanks very very much for making contact.

Can you please 'pm' me you private email address and we can exchange information.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Offline jspg10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen
 Pleased to hear from you, slight problem being I have just joined roots therefore unable to PM you at the moment. I am going to send you another reply and that will make three andthen I can PM you

Regards Jean

Offline jspg10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
This is the third one so all being well I will now be able to PM you

Jean

Offline tattie-scone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am looking into history of our home in Rumblingwell Dunfermline, not many of the old deeds have survived but there is a mention of a George Campbell, his sister Elizabeth Campbell and her son John Drysdale (also a William Drysdale mentioned) in1838 - George Campbell mentioned again1853 - any help to you?
Janis