Author Topic: Charles Reid, Aberdeen, 1855 - 1927  (Read 2755 times)

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Reid, Aberdeen, 1855 - 1927
« on: Monday 19 September 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the family of Charles Reid, son of Alexander Reid, stonemason, and Elizabeth McKenzie Reid.  He was a papermill worker, a police constable in Aberdeen in the 1880s, a gas works labourer, a house agent, and his death cert. in 1927 states he was a JP (presumably Justice of the Peace).  Any info on him, his many children, his business interests, his wife Margaret Smith or a later wife called Elsie Mitchell, would be appreciated.  I'm descended from his daughter, Helen Longman Reid, who married William Anderson Sutherland.  I have some info on him I can share.

thanks

JS
Sutherland (Caithness, Aberdeen), Hedley (Gateshead), Reid (Aberdeen), Laidlaw (Hawick, Northumberland), Carr (Northumberland), Wheatley (Northumberland), Mole (Northumberland), Hill (S. Lincolnshire), Chapman, (S. Lincolnshire), Pollexfen (S. Lincolnshire)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Reid, Aberdeen, 1855 - 1927
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
This is one which I am struggling with. I have found a census (1901) with Charles employed as "a house agent" with wife Margaret and children, but that's it. There are census's and other Charles's with wife called Margaret, but the information does not cross match.
If you wish to post further information, please do.
Need more help with this one.

Regards

Malky

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you!  Are we related?

The 1911 census lists the same occupation "house agent".  Family stories have it that a Mr Reid was a solicitor / lawyer and fairly well-off, and I think in Scotland a "house agent" is an overlap profession - maybe somewhere between estate agent and licensed conveyancer. My aunt remembers the name s of his children so I am fairly sure this is the same family.  I'm pretty sure from the names of his parents that the death record of April 8th 1927 is the same guy, and on that document (from Scotland's People) he is a JP.  He obviously did well for himself. Family controversy erupted when he left the business to "his eldest son James" (I can't find the will) but according to what i am finding, his son James was certainly not the eldest.  Charles was the first but I think he may have died young, then there were Henry and Joe, who may have spent some time in Canada but eventually returned to Aberdeen, then James.  The girls were Ruth, Agnes and Helen, and I am interested in info on Helen who was my great grandmother.

There's a lot more info from me on Ancestry.co.uk.
Sutherland (Caithness, Aberdeen), Hedley (Gateshead), Reid (Aberdeen), Laidlaw (Hawick, Northumberland), Carr (Northumberland), Wheatley (Northumberland), Mole (Northumberland), Hill (S. Lincolnshire), Chapman, (S. Lincolnshire), Pollexfen (S. Lincolnshire)

Offline DavieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have come across this correspondence from a Google search. I have just started investigating my wife's family tree. Charles Reid is her great grandfather, Ruth is her grandmother. If you are still on this site please let me know and perhaps we can share some information.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David and welcome to rootschat JudiSutherland has not been active on here since 2012, if her e-mail details are the same she will receive a notification you have posted ...and hopefully you can share information ...In the mean time if you need any help just post on here there are plenty of people to help or advise you  :)

Rosie

Offline JudiSutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi! I am still here although I have never found this site very useful. I have put everything I know about this family on Ancestry.com.

Happy to chat, though.

Judi

Offline DavieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Judi.
Thanks very much for getting in contact. I found this correspondence by chance in a Google search. As I said I have just started looking in to my wife, Susan's, family history.  Susan's dad died about 3 years ago and we got papers and photos with names we didn't know so I undertook to do a bit of research and lockdown has given me the time to do it.
So far I have been using the Scotland's People website. The other branch of the family came from London so for them I plan to use the Ancentry.com site so I hope I will be able to see your research then.
If I start by telling you who we are.
Susan's grandmother is Ruth Reid, Charles and Margaret's youngest daughter. Ruth was born in 1899. Ruth married Frederick Webb (Fred) in 1922. Fred came from Eltham in London. He was a "sick bay attendant" in the Royal Navy. Ruth was a nurse and that is probably how they met. Fred and Ruth settled in Aberdeen and had 2 children, Winifred and Roy, Susan's dad.
Roy was born on 27 August 1928 and his full name is Roy Henry Reid Webb.
As you see Roy was named after his uncle Henry. I see you mentioned Henry in your message in 2011. We have a letter from Henry to his "Dear Nephew" dated 23 October 1928. At that time his address was in New York. The anecdotal story in our family is that Henry lost his money in the Wall Street crash, following which he returned to Aberdeen. The letter was mailed on the airship Graf Zeppelin- a nice bit of social history.
Did you find anything more about Charles's life?  We are not able to tell you much - as ever, now we wished we had asked more. Charles died shortly before Roy was born so wasn't part of his life.
It is good to be in touch with you.  We are trying to work out what relation you are to Susan!
It would be good to hear more from you.
With best wishes.

David

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat DavieR. Please click on the link below to find out how to communicate privately with other members. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.