Author Topic: scottish census records 1851/1861 SHEEHAN  (Read 9659 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: scottish census records 1851/1861 SHEEHAN
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
I had William in Chatham barracks Kent too but wasn't sure it was him.1851
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
Ah -  found in 1851 in Chatham, Kent - a long way from Liverpool!

Chatham Barracks HO107/1611/456/13
William Sheehan, 15, Private - army, b. Kerry, Procest?

Most seem to be from Ireland.   
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
Will have to leave you to fly solo for a while gnu,good luck ;)
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
HI Gnu and Seoras

John Sheehan I have one record that says he is on aScottish Census 1871, however he also could be the John Sheehan who died in the workhouse in London. I haven't got access to the scottish census and as there are a family of sheehans in Middlesex I presumed the workhouse death was theres.

I know never presume.

I do have to thank you both for all your help, I would love to know what sources you use because you come up with things i haven't found.

Thanks Frances

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances

I think we use all available - free and pay sites.

The find in 1871 is doubtful as John is down as Dead on Richard's marriage cert of 1863.

I saw the workhouse one a couple of days ago but he was a labourer, as far as I can remember.

I think you have to be careful with this surname, especially combined with common names, as there were quite a number.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances and Gnu,I have been watching WDYTYA tonight,mainly because of the Gibb name but it seems his were from Paisley,mine are all Bo'ness.But there was a tale on there of a mother dying and the father going off to find work leaving the kids destitute.It rang a bell with this story,did the same happen or did both parents die?
I got to thinking if the youngest Albert and Henry are with the Wedgewoods on the 1851 census,where on earth are the other four boys.After much fruitless searching this interesting entry popped up.

1851 Scotland Close,Bo'ness

George Amlie 28 head Baker b Bo'ness
Mary Amlie 28 wife b Bo'ness
Richard Shean 10 apprentice b England
Joseph Mayer 23 Potter b England
Samuel Matthews 24 Potter b England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi George  ;D

I found him on the 1851 the other day which was how I tracked his marriage down.  He's there in 1861 as well but not an apprentice anymore!

The other's seem to disappear - not enough evidence to pin them down.

Maybe father John did become the Controller of the HM Customs in Bo'ness but not found there so far.

Could be.

Have you found the death of John in Bo'ness yet? Frances said he died with Richard.  I've found Richard there on the early censuses but no sign of a death for John. wonder where she got the info from?

gnu

gnu

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Same here Gnu,no sign of them anywhere.I can't think of any reason why Richard would be over in Bo'ness at that age unless the father took him.Did more than the mother die? Could they be back in Ireland,where the Sheehans must have had family?It's certainly a mystery.

I did find several William Sheehans in the military 1850s/60s but none I could say were Albert's brother.

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 22 September 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi both

Thank you for the info on Richard, I cannot access the Scottish census. I think you are right he probably went with his father
and the two youngest have been left with the farmer where they lived in Ellenborough. Family rumour is that they used to go on Holiday to Bo'ness and that was how Richard met his wife. Considering the times and their economic position I think it is much more likely that Richard went along with his father to find work. I presume on the 1861 census he is at the pottery.

I pulled up William Sheehans military record, it says he joined up in Cork at the age of 15. so I think it is a bit of a long shot, his army record makes interesting reading, he was a heavy drinker and was of bad character.

I think Michael may be in Liverpool as a shoemaker, but again a guess. Sheehan is a very common name.

I got the info about John dying at Bo'ness from a lady on ancestry who had the Middleton family tree, annoyingly I can not now find the piece of paper, at the moment.

If you find anything on John I would be really pleased to know.