Author Topic: Lack of Maiden names on Birth certificate  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lack of Maiden names on Birth certificate
« on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
I've been shown a copy of a birth certificate for a birth in St Helier in 1859 but there is no maiden name given for the mother and no surname for the Informant.  I see that this is a "Translation" of the Original.  Would the original still exist and is it likely that it might have more information?

Thanks

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Maiden names on Birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
The original will almost certainly still exist, perhaps the missing words are illegible. If you post the details I'm sure someone will check it for you.

I imagine it's a translation because all our early BMD records are in French

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
The Birth certificate is dated 16 Dec 1869 and is for Florence Kearsey daughter of James SMITHE and Harriet Ann SMITHE [no maiden name] Informant Elizabeth Jane present at birth [no surname - unless it is JANE]
Would be delighted if anyone does have access to the original
With thanks

Pat

Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Just shows how errors occur - the birth date in 1859 NOT 1869
Very sorry!

Pat

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Of course it is always possible that Harriet's maiden name was Smith. My Grandfather was a Smith who married a Smith.

The baptism of Florence Kearsey Smith is recorded on 29/8/1860, parents James and Harriet Ann Smith, godparents Jane Power Cobbe and Elizabeth Mary Jones.

James and Harriet seem to have had other children according to the 1871 so it may be an idea to check their birth records to see if the mother's maiden name really was Smith. I can't see any baptism records for the other children.