Author Topic: Moyles family  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Midnight Lady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moyles family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have my mothers birth certificate, she was born 1/8/23 although she always told us she was born 31/7/23 and they put the baptismal date on her BC.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 September 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if maybe Michael or Kate were widowed and remarried but still doesn't help with match up. That was why I was asking re birth certificates.

You could contact http://www.groireland.ie/  with the details you have for the marriage certificate.  Perhaps the indexes are not complete.
Gor example, there is a marriage 1st quarter 1919 which has 4 males, including Michael Moyles and only 3 females.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edfitzpatrick1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 January 20 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Midnight Lady,
If you're still out there, I can give you some information on your grandmother's (i.e., Kate Barrett's) side of the family.

Offline Midnight Lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 January 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi edfitzpatrick1,

yes I am still out here and so surprised but very happy to hear from this thread after so many years as sometimes life takes a different direction.
I welcome any information you may have on my grandmother, Kate Barrett.

Offline edfitzpatrick1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 January 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
You may have gotten much of this info already from others, but I'll give you the story of how I happened upon your gran...

Very recently I found a RC marriage record dated 23 April 1920 for a Michael Moyles (Derreen, father=John Moyles, mother=Bridget Tolan) and a Ellen Barrett (Derreen, father=Patrick Barrett, mother=Mary McDermott).

This was puzzling because this Ellen was my grandmother and she came to the US in 1923 claiming to be single.  So it was either a mistake or a really interesting family history issue.  So I dug deeper and...

There is a Kate Barrett listed in the 1911 Census as living on a farm in Derreen with her grandmother Mary Sheridan (and 2 of Mary's children).  So I figured that this Kate's father must have been a Barrett and her mother a Sheridan so, digging deeper...

There is a civil record dated 26 May 1888 of Patrick Barrett (Caffoly, father=William Barrett) marrying Catherine Sheridan (Derreen, father=James Sheridan)

There is a civil birth record showing Catherine Barrett born on 15 March 1894 in Caffoley to Pat Barrett and Catherine Sheridan.

The Caffoley Barrret's show up in both the 1901 and 1911 Census records with parents Pat and Catherine still alive and kids named Mary Ellen, William, Kate (only in 1911 census), Patrick, and Annie.

Kate shows up in both the 1901 and 1911 Census records in her grandmother Sheridan's household in Derreen.

So that's the story.  Your gran was the product of Caffoley Barrett and a Derreen Sheridan.  I suspect the 1920 marriage record listing Ellen as the bride (rather then Kate) was in error because someone figured that the young Barrett woman from Derreen, whose father was named Pat, must have been my gran, since her family had been in Derreen for about 70 years by then.  (Kate was about 3 years older than Ellen.) There are probably lots more birth and marriage records available that would let you flesh out both the Barretts and the Sheridans (as well as the Moyles and Tolans).

I hope there was some new informaiton here.  Good luck with your digging.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »

Source for  Marriage of PATRICK BARRETT and CATHERINE SHERIDAN
on 26 May 1888

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10778/5930693.pdf

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »

Civil Reg  Birth, Marriage and Death results for Barrett of Ballina

Link  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01otp/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:58 GMT (UK) »

Birth, Marriage and Death results for Moyles of Ballina

LINK     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01otq/

Any with Returns Page No don't have Images at moment, so check Link every few months to check for Updates.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 January 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »

Click on Births or whatever you need and click 1800 or 1900 folder to choose decades.