Author Topic: William AYLETT - Convict  (Read 12187 times)

Offline carolburman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William AYLETT - Convict
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 December 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

I have read the posts and realised some of the references where towards the Hite family - my mistake. 

However there is a mention of linking these Aylett's to Albury, Hertfordshire which I have often seen on www.ancestry.com.  Whilst I am not suggesting this is totally incorrect I have not found any evidence of this whilst investigating at the Hertfordshire Office.  However as Albury is nearby,  it cannot be discounted.   I can establish the line to William Aylett/Aylott/Alet and Mary Secole who married 1774 in Standon, Hertfordshire with confidence and currently working on establishing concrete evidence of his parents being John Aylett/Ayot/Alet and Mary Odell who married in Standon, Hertfordshire 1750. 

From the convict William Aylett - son of James Aylett (bc1802) and Hannah Aley - son of James Aylett (bc 1775) and Elizabeth Aspitall - son of William Aylett/Aylott (bc1753) and Mary Sedcole - possibly the son of John Alet and Mary Odell.  I have attached a copy of the marriage certificate of William Aylett and Mary Sedcole.

On www.ancestry.com however some people are stating that William Aylett born c1753 Standon is the son of William Aylott and Mary Berry from Walkern, Hertfordshire.  At present I would not concur with this theory.
I hope you don't mind me airing my opinion and would apologise for my earlier mistake!

Happy New Year, Carol

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 January 12 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

I was not saying that these Ayletts/Aylotts had any connections to the Albury lot .... just purely pointing out that there were also Aylotts in Albury in case a wider search of the area might be required.
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline YvAylett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 February 20 02:24 GMT (UK) »
The first of my surname to arrive in Australia was a transported convict, William John Aylett, born 1826 Thundridge(?) Herts. He arrived in Van Diemans Land (now Tasmania) on the Mt Stewart Elphinston in 1845.  Is anything known about the family in England?  I don't know where he was tried and convicted, can anybody advise me on where would be the best place to start looking?

Hi there. His cousin James Aylett of very similar age was transported to VDL  in 1841 on the Tortoise

On boarding the ship, his name was mis-written as Elliot. I had a geneologist research this and it took some doing.
William and James were in court several times for Grand Larceny.  Usually Chelmsford Court.  I have a record of this but need to work out how to upload!!

He was sentenced to ten years and on leaving, went to Melbourne.  I'm not sure whether he re-assumed to Aylett name

I am an Aylett from the Essex/Herts area.  It was hard at first forming our tree as there are lots of Williams, James Isaacs and Henry Ayletts.

I hadn't found this site until this evening!! Still really excited as often Aylett is met with a blank look!