Author Topic: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff  (Read 9658 times)

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff
« on: Wednesday 21 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism of Walter Joss bc1813, Master Mariner who married in Tynemouth and settled in South Shields. One of his children was named James Barron Joss b1838.
I have found two marriages in Gamrie, Banff who could be possible parents ?

Walter Joass m Elizabeth Barron 1/1/1803
James Joass m Jean Barron 4/3/1797.

Can anyone please help ?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
I have had a look in the books of monumental inscriptions for St John's kirkyard in Gamrie and Doune kirkyard in Macduff and there are no inscriptions there which help. Several Joass/Joss which are probably ancestors, but no Joass/ Barron.

Have you found Walter's death certificate to get his father's name? Do you have him on a census giving his birthplace as Gamrie?

You may have to follow up both possible families. If you can get hold of the microfilm reel for Gamrie baptisms and check all the various witnesses it might give a pointer. If one of the two families shows as living in Gardenstown or Crovie with the father a fisherman, it would be more likely than if the family was working the land. If Walter was still in Gamrie in his 20s, he might appear as a witness to baptisms.

Although there are no gravestones to Joass/Barron at Gamrie, the burial register was well kept from about 1822 to 1854. Also the marriage entries for Gamrie can give more detail than usual. Often there are two entries, one in the Gamrie register and one in the Macduff register.

Graham.

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham.
Unfortunately I have very little information to go on. I found an entry for what I believe may be his death on familysearch.org and that suggests that he died on/off the coast of Spain in 1858 age 45.
I am not sure whether there would be a GRO death certificate that I could get hold of for him.
The census records for his wife Philis and children in South Shields reveal that she was a Master Mariners wife and that he was not at home in the census of 1841 and 1851.
I have no hints that he was from Scotland and was only guessing of a possible link to the Walter Joass Elizabeth Barron marriage because of the naming of his first son.
Many thanks.. 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Don't give up on this trail as it looks quite promising. There was a good number of fishermen on this coast and many went into the merchant service. Perhaps if you searched for merchant seamen's records you might find something. I've never had to do that, but I'm sure someone here could help you out with advice.

Graham.

Offline pamado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
post removed

Offline angiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that's wonderful to find someone with some information.

My great grandmother was Catherine Ann Joss, Alexander's sister. I have the names of  Phillis and the rest of the brothers and sister but nothing about Walter senior which is where I had come to a dead end.

I had just identified Walter Joass and Elizabeth Barron and assumed a possible link but another person's tree on Genes Reunited suggested that Walter had remarried in 1807 to Ann McKai, plus I could not find any children of Walter Joass and Elizabeth. Elizabeth also appears to have had a sister Jane Barron who married James Joass 1797, presumably Walter's brother.

I would be very pleased to know more details about Walter Jnr's birth if you have it ?
Catherine Ann's son John Watson Johnson, my grandfather moved to the South coast when my mother was a baby and so all my research has been done online and it is the Johnson/Joss side of the family which I have little information.

Angie.

Offline pamado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
post removed

Offline pamado

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile