Author Topic: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff  (Read 9623 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
I love it when I do a general internet search for family-tree names and then a link leads back here to Rootschat! I just searched for my Joass/Joss family and was lead to this thread. I should have guessed.

My great grandfather (x's) is Walter Joass 1780 of Banffshire. His son Walter was born 22 MAR 1806  at Macduff. Walter sr. married Elizabeth Barron in 1803:

WALTER JOASS

ELIZABETH BARRON/FR306 (FR306)
01/01/1803
155/
10 341
Gamrie

She died young and Walter sr. married my grandmother Ann McKay in 1807:

WALTER JOASS

ANNE MCKAI/FR271 (FR271)
06/08/1807
155/
10 274
Gamrie and Macduff

The son of above Walter sr. and Elizabeth Barron is Walter Barron Joass born 22 MAR 1806 • Macduff, Banffshire. He is the son of Walter's first wife Elizabeth Barron.

Walter Joass jr. married Phyllis Watson in 1833 in Tynemouth. He went on to die in Spain in 1858.He was known as Captain Walter Barron Joss.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
I know that Walter jr.'s mother is Elizabeth Barron because Walter Sr. re-married my grandmother Ann McKay in 1807 after the death of Elizabeth... and his middle name is Barron. I cannot find his birth cert though... Tried under many spellings. It could be simply a missing doc... not sure where it is. It might pop up with further deep-searching.

Were you interested specifically in info on Captain Walter Barron Joss? Or are you interested in the parents as well ,Walter Joass sr. (whom I'm related to) and Elizabeth Barron?

Here is the correct info for Walter Barron Joass's parents:

ELIZABETH BARRON
Parents:
JAMES BARRON/ISOBEL BRUCE
F
28/11/1784
150/
40 23
Cullen

WALTER JOASS
Parents:
ALEXANDER JOASS/HELEN ROSS FR428 (FR428)
M
01/01/1781
155/
20 158
Gamrie and Macduff
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Re: 1806 birth of Walter Barron Joass ... I see that others are having a hard time finding his birth cert and instead quote his military documents for the DOB of 22 Mar 1806 and the death in Spain 1 Aug 1858.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Report on Walter Joass's death:

Offline DouglasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 November 22 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Late to this party. Have some info on family back to Colleonard if any interest.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 22 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Douglas.

I for one would be thankful for any Joass family info... ancestry auto-suggests family tree links to Colleonard for my Alexander Joass but I cannot confirm. There are multiple Alexander Joss/Joass in Banff at the time.

Are you related to Walter Joass that married Elizabeth Barron/Anne McKay?

Offline DouglasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 December 22 15:37 GMT (UK) »
My link is via Helen Joass Married James Gray 1833, my gt.gt gt grandparents; daughter to Walter and Ann Mackay.
  Have various bits of information on Joass/Voss/Foss/Zoss and varied spellings.
 Some posted on Ancestry others in paper format till i finalise links.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 December 22 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My husband's 3 x Great Grandmother was Helen Joass, born circa 1805-1872 Gamrie and she married John Lumsden 1796-1890 on 29 June 1827.  Just today found this line and low and behold, I go onto Rootschat and see this resurrected post!  Can't believe it.

Work in progress.  There are soooo many Joass on Scotland's People in Gamrie and Macduff, Banffshire.  I look forward to the chase.

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 December 22 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kit!

I see that Helen Joass 1805 has the following parents:

JOASS
HELEN
WILLIAM JOASS/ISOBEL PORTER FR489 (FR489)
F
29/08/1805
GAMRIE AND MACDUFF

They married in 1803

JOASS
WILLIAM
ISOBEL PORTER/
04/06/1803
BANFF

I think this is William Joass's birth:

JOASS
WILLIAM
JOHN JOASS/ISOBEL RIDDOCH FR641 (FR641)
M
15/06/1777
GAMRIE AND MACDUFF

John Joass and Isobel Riddoch had a son named Walter which leads me to believe that John might be related to the Walter Joass of this thread. Gotta keep digging...