Author Topic: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Joass, Gamrie Banff
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 December 22 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a baptism document from Walter Joass's sister which appears on the same page as a baptsim for John Joass's daughter Isobel.

It says that John was a farmer at Bloddymire and the same witness Alexander Craig signs both.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline DouglasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 December 22 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Helen M John Lumsden father William was brother to Alex who married Helen Ross

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 December 22 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Douglas and Alan, lots to look into.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I've purchased the 'Will' of William who died a Burnside in 1847.  He mentions son Alexander to whom he gives the remainder of the lease to the Farm at Burnside.  His other son George, who also gets the remainder of the lease to Cowsmill Farm.  Gifts of £50 go to daughter Helen (married to John Lumsden, Executor) and daughter Isabella (married to George Ritchie, Wheel Wright).  Also Isabella and George's daughter, Agnes the amount of £20 and her Grandmother's (Isabella) wardrobe for her 'drawer'.  At least, that's how I read it.

I know it isn't about Walter, but thought I'd share.  I've seen the other thread regarding Alexander Joass and Helen Ross.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rzk/

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:06 GMT (UK) »
That's great Kit! Wills are very interesting eh!? There can be a ton of useful info in them... really can help fill a picture.

Where are you at now as far as tracing your Joass kin? Did you get further then William Joass and Isobel Porter?

Also , just putting it out there but did you possibly get your DNA done on ancestry? If so curious if the link shows up. If not , no worries, it's all overrated anyways.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, it's my husband's side and yes, he has his DNA on Ancestry, uploaded to My Heritage and GedMatch too.

Still work full-time, so fitting research in when I can (part of me would like to take retirement, but I enjoy my job).  Slow process.  I've just purchased a number of records from SP and taken info from their 'search results' as well, for those not direct ancestors to fill out the Ancestry Tree.

PM me if you want more detail on our tree or anything else.

Best, Kit (in a snowy and cold/frosty south of Edinburgh, Scotland)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you already saw this...

But in the other thread about Joasses GR2 shared a transcription of a family grave:

By Alexander and George Joass to the memory of their father William Joass farmer Burnside of Cullen d. 28 Jan. 1847 aged 81; his dau. Agnes d. 17 Oct. 1843 aged 39; their mother Isabella Porter d. at Burnside 17 Mar. 1854 aged 75.

Here's a clear picture of William Joass 1766 grave above:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/231025208/william-joass

I click the grave picture and then "view original" ...which makes it big and easy to read.

Based on that and taking into account what Douglas commented the connection is through William Joass's parents...

JOSS
WILLIAM
ALEXANDER JOSS/MARY DUNCAN FR371 (FR371)
M
01/11/1765
GAMRIE AND MACDUFF

This means Walter Joass 1780 and your hubby's William 1765 are brothers (from different mothers). Walter's mother is Alexander's second wife Helen Ross and William's mother is his first wife Mary Duncan. All that is explained in the other Joass thread that you linked so I won't repeat.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 16:33 GMT (UK) »
So...  small update.

I'm sure it happens around here all the time but this thread has created some new bonds. Kit and I were able to find a DNA connection between her husband ,associated relatives and myself. It gives me new cousins and Kit gets the confirmation her husband is definitely related to Walter Joass through half brother William 1765.

Offline PriceNash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 August 23 02:46 BST (UK) »
Currently looking at Descendants of Alexander Joass 1736-1802 and Mary Duncan 1731-1772 which Walter Joass 1780-1862 is the grandson. Including Alexander Joass 1756-1831 and wives Helen Ross 1745 and Margaret Morrison. Especially interested in finding information on John Joass 1770. Any direct descendants which have their DNA tested I would love to hear from you.