Author Topic: civil registration index now on Ancestry  (Read 53749 times)

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: civil registration index now on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,  you mention the library version of Ancestry.  Are there any libraries in the Dublin area with such a subscription?
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
You'll need to check with your local library/libraries. Most have website these days and mention any online databases they provide. For example, here's the Dublin City Libraries page-
http://www.netvibes.com/dublincitypubliclibraries#Home
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Just a slight word of caution here to those checking this index.  I get the Ancestry newsletter and in it there is an article about his collection which reads:

“Ancestry.com has posted indexes to Irish Civil Registrations which began in 1864 for births, marriages, and deaths (1845 for non-Catholic marriages). In addition there is an index to births and baptisms that dates back to 1620, extracted from a variety of records. Three other collections that were also posted caught my eye–Catholic baptisms, marriages, and deaths (the latter being the smallest). Although these collections are works-in-progress that are smaller in size and not all-inclusive....” it continues  “A plurality of the records currently available on Ancestry.com are from County Meath, but there is also significant representation from other parts of the country. (See the list of counties at the end of this article.)  The list is as follows- Counties with representation in these three collections include: Antrim, Cavan, Cork, Fermanagh, Galway (marriages only), Kerry, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary (marriages only), Tyrone, Westmeath, and Wexford.

So not  all inclusive at this stage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting that but I read it as they have the civil registration index and then In addition there is an index to births and baptisms that dates back to 1620... .

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I read it like that also ,however it is that last bit that seemed significant to me - just prior to the listing of counties Counties with representation in these three collections
and then alarm bells rang. 

I am always most cautious when looking for Irish information, it's just too easy to think great they've got it all and spend so much time looking for information that isn't there.  :-\

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
Aghadowny, you wrote:
"You'll need to check with your local library/libraries. Most have website these days and mention any online databases they provide. For example, here's the Dublin City Libraries page-
http://www.netvibes.com/dublincitypubliclibraries"

I think the answer is 'none' and with scarcer resources in public sector in future, it is likely to continue to be the case.  I once had access to Ancestry in Pearse Research Room.  But later it was gone.  They said perhaps it was a trial period  that it was there.  If any library were to have it, it think that would be the best one.  I know nothing of the National library.

At this stage I have paid enough to Ancestry and with bulk of research completed, it is not worth further subs.  I can access it in UK in libraries there when visiting.  It is also available in NA in Kew.

Thanks for link.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline ards g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 August 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
just read today GRO Belfast has announced a tender for companies to digistie their holdings and provide an online search facility the same as the GRO Scotland with an of being online Jan 2014expectation
gibson {b/bridge-dromore } radcliffe [belfast-banbridge }
McCluskey & leckey {armagh }

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 August 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
just read today GRO Belfast has announced a tender for companies to digistie their holdings and provide an online search facility the same as the GRO Scotland

Details posted last month on this topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,606412.0.html

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
the Library Edition of Ancestry is available for use in all Northern Ireland Public libraries, and it is free !!  I regularly take the train from Dublin to Newry and do my family tree chasing there. Library cards are available to anyone from the island of Ireland with any form of ID.