Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 2006  (Read 13550 times)

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 2006
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I had similar problems with FTM 2005 on WIndows 7. I solved my issues by setting it to run in XP compatibility mode.
Scott (Dublin, Merseyside)
Booth,Houlden,Jarvis,Kenyon,Paver,Wigglesworth (Yorkshire)
Attwater,Crawshaw,Houlden,Lord,Lowe (Lancashire)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
I have just started using ftm 2005 because my family tree genealogy suite version 4 (this may be the same as the one that Christine referred to) would not install on my computer.  Apparently it would not install because the program is 32 bit and the computer is 64 bit.  ::)  So now I am just trying to get used to the ftm 2005 program ................ getting there.

Hope you get it sorted crackel as it can be so frustrating.

Ewan

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 September 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
I solved my issues by setting it to run in XP compatibility mode.

That's interesting.

If I right click my desktop icon and select Properties and then click on the Compatibility tab the check box next to:

Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Windows XP SP3 (greyed out)

is not checked - so I presume I am running the program in Windows 7 mode and it all seems to work?

Apparently it would not install because the program is 32 bit and the computer is 64 bit. 

That's not true - I have many old programs (16 and 32 bit) working on my Windows 7 computer.  In fact most of the programs running on your computer are 32 bit.  Apart from Internet Explorer, I doubt if you have any 64 bit programs running on your computer.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 September 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Windows XP SP3 (greyed out) is not checked - so I presume I am running the program in Windows 7 mode and it all seems to work?

Yes, mine seemed to be working too, but then I realised some options I only use occassionally would fail - in particular exporting reports to PDF.

I should have said that I'm running 32 bit W7.
Scott (Dublin, Merseyside)
Booth,Houlden,Jarvis,Kenyon,Paver,Wigglesworth (Yorkshire)
Attwater,Crawshaw,Houlden,Lord,Lowe (Lancashire)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:05 BST (UK) »
The PDF problem was the reason why FTM-2005 would not work on Windows Vista and then later Windows 7 - everything else was OK.

To get around this they issued a patch to fix the problem.  I think the Vista patch is good for Windows 7 as well.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 September 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Apparently it would not install because the program is 32 bit and the computer is 64 bit. 

That's not true - I have many old programs (16 and 32 bit) working on my Windows 7 computer.  In fact most of the programs running on your computer are 32 bit.  Apart from Internet Explorer, I doubt if you have any 64 bit programs running on your computer.

I have just tried again to install 'family tree genealogy suite version 4', this message appears -

Unsupported 16-Bit Application

The program or feature "\??\E:\Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. 

I would be open to any suggestions of how to install this because I do prefer to use this program as opposed to ftm 2005.

Ewan

Offline crackel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 September 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Ewan: I have purchased just about every version from the first that Bonderbund produced to present.  I believe you will find the program style of Version 4 is the same all the way up to FTM Version 2006.   I am having my problems with FTM2006 in my computers (Windows 7) I am going to have to use my FTM2010.  I am tired of putting in data only to have it not store in the program or have the program fault.   

Oh by the way folks the only thing that the ancestry would say is:

Family Tree Maker 2006 has some compatibility issues with Windows 7 that could be causing the error message which you have received. Please download the patch from the following article to resolve this issue:

Answer Title: Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 & 16 Update for Windows Vista & Windows 7
Answer Link: http://pastftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pastftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2777

Needless to say it does not work.  I also tried all the other suggestions to no avail, however I really appreciate the sincere attempts to solve my problem.  I am still hanging in there.  Right now my conclusion is my file maybe corrupt, if it is oh s__t.      Crackel

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 September 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Crackel

Have you got permission to write to the file?

Go to C:\Proram Files (x86)\Family Tree Maker 2005

if that is where you .ftw file is stored, if not then navigate to where you keep it.

Right click the .ftw file and select Properties and then click the Security tab.

Make sure that under the Allow column everything is ticked - especially the Write permission box.  The Special Permission row should not be ticked.

Offline crackel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 September 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the help attempts.  Nothing has worked, so I am going to "bite the bullet" and start using 2010 YUK!
I am afraid if I don't get away from 2006 I am going to loose some if not all of my file.
Thanks a million to all!!!
Crackel