Author Topic: Help! Grellier - Huguenots in Jersey  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Berteau-Grellier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Grellier - Huguenots in Jersey
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 March 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Oops, they're my 4th great grandparents. Their descendants in my line were Francis Berteau of Twillingate, Newfoundland, his son Albert, his son Frédéric (my grandfather). Was Jean a sea captain or military captain? I assume sea captain.
Thank you, Carol

Offline bob5050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 March 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Looks like we are the same status.Jean was a sea captain.Francis was sent here, Nfld, from Jersey to look after business interests on the south coast in a place called the Jersey rooms and later moved to Twillingate where he was a magistrate.He is my great,great grandfather.Here is where we diverge.I decended from his son Francis Cyrus,and my Grandmother,Enid.The Berteau name is gone here ,but there are some cousins etc with other names.I have some old things from them,paintings etc,I assume (the paintings)  are from Thomas.The old house of Francis still stands in Twillingate and believe it or not some of the interior decoration is stiil there.I saw it several years ago.What country do you live in?
 Bob.

Offline Berteau-Grellier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 19 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, I'm familiar with Francis C. and Enid. Yes, I've seen pics of Twillingate, but didn't know it still had some furnishings. Very cool. I have one painting Thomas did of the Fisher Girl. A duplicate is hanging in the Jersey museum. I'm in California. I've only come across two cousins on the Berteau side and not through Ancestry DNA. You may know of one of them because I think she was a  Francis C. descendant. Please send a private message if you'd like to correspond further.
Thanks!

Offline Paul Gale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 January 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am the Grandson of Florence Grellier her Family lived in Jersey and from what we have found out were originally Huguenot from France. (ship Builders)
Please see below a web link to my Uncle who was killed in WW1.
 http://www.greatwarci.net/honour/jersey/database/grellier-ab-pozieres.htm

Offline Berteau-Grellier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, I can tell you my 4th gr grandparents were Jean Berteau, b. 1791 and Jane Grellier, b. 1795 Also from St. Hellier and Huegonauts, as your family was.
They had Francis Berteau, my 3rd gr. frandfather and other children, who also lived on Bond St. as your relatives did. Same names, but not sure where we connect. I'm moving and my notes are in boxes, so that's all I can tell you now.
I'll send any info I can find when I find it.
Carol

Offline Paul Gale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Indeed the Berteau Family are well connected to us, my Father is still living in Jersey, and the House that he lives in was owned by Frances Berteau but she was a School teacher who never married and left the House to my Grandmother, and this has now been passed to my Father, the house is on Landscape Grove Mont Cochon up the hill from First Tower.
It would be great to see if and how we are connected, as the Grellier Family have a lot of History in the Island, and my Father has collected a lot of the genealogy regarding this.
I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards
Paul

Offline Munn Berteau

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
I am back lineage to the Berteau family and would very much like to get more details. here is my lineage:
Dorothy Berteau (my grandmother on my mother's side) was born in St John’s Newfoundland to Francis Cyrus Berteau Jr. and Margaret (Cohen) Berteau.

Francis Cyrus Berteau was born in 1856 on the Island of Jersey off the coast of France to Francis Berteau Sr. He died in Newfoundland at Burin, Newfoundland.

Francis Berteau Sr. was born in 1823 on the island of Jersey, to Jean and Jane Berteau. He died in 1908.

Jean-Joseph Berteau was born in 1792 in Nord France to Louis Joesph Andre Berteau. He died in 1882.

Louis Joesph Andre Berteau was born in 1755 in Nord France and died in 1818.

Does anyone have further details or photos?

Offline Susan82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 October 20 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, I am connected to your family and met your grandmother back in early 1980s. She called herself Tiny and she was quite petite and short. My gg grandfather was Francis Berteau and his sister Lavinia is your line. She married a Grellier. I would very much like to get in touch with you and your father so that we could compare notes. I am actively researching the Berteau family at the moment and writing up about Francis and his siblings.

Offline KENNETHWILLO

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 January 22 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I am new to the forum. I have been researching Grellier and would be interested in the information of Henry Grellier, I only have his marriage. Peter Paul Grellier had a Royal Warrant for the importation of Alderney cows. My mother was a Grellier. I am trying to sort out Gabriel Grellier's family who was married in St Helier 1700 and was a prominent figure in Spitalfield. Any Help ?