Author Topic: Catherine Hemus c. 1792  (Read 8395 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Hemus c. 1792
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 September 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
L.T.A. = Land Tax Assessments which are normally circa 1780 to circa 1833 by hundred, and give Parish. Location, Occupier(Head of Household), Land Owner, and tax paid, recommend you read the likes of "Village Records" by John West ISBN 0 85033 44 6.

Far too many errors/mis-information in the IGI, appears to me to be even more errors under the new IGI Beta progamme, so I make very little if any use of it, the vast majority, if not all my supplied info comes from original Parish Records researched at the Record Office. Anything I supply that is not from original sources comes with a health warning.

I had no need at the time to check 1812 for any any baptism in pursurance of an answer, because it appears that Joseph and Catherine do not arrive in the parish until 1813, however I will double check to see if there is a mention of Mary Joseph Amos being baptised at Angle in 1812 on my next visit. In fact it may be better to search say 1805 to 1813 for any Amos baptism in the village.

Sorry do not understand the question about whats normal for girls in Wales.

Of course you where far to polite to point out my error ~ parents of course are Joseph & Catherine not Joseph and Elizabeth. (Previous post corrected)

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 September 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your explanation re. LTA, my thoughts last night only came up with Landlords/Tenants Agreements. I will certainly make a point of reading Village Record's as you suggest.
Yes errors are found on IGI but as a first port of call I find it useful.- ( Peter Axton is shown only as Peter & Mary Joseph is listed as if Joseph is her surname ) . Other Mary Josephs appear with different surnames but in all cases their father's fist names are Joseph. Hope you are following this. That led me to think that it was normal for girls in Wales to take their father's first name in addition to their given name. But maybe this is a transcription error, as it seems to be the case with lots of children with surnames Joseph. Take a look.
Thanks for the offer to search 1805-1813 I would be most grateful.
regards,
robsdad
STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,
SHROP: Bird, Colley, Parton, Cock.
WORCS: Knowles, Adams, Evans, Wanklin, Edwards, Harvett, Potter.
WARKS: Garrington.
NORTHANTS: Betts, Clark
BERKS: Cross, Preston, Orpwood, Banister, Celly/Colly, Wildblood, Bond.
BEDS: Carver, Merrington.
OXFORD: Edwards, Maizey, Hanwell, Laurence

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 September 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Orielbenfro link=topic=557063.msg4099731#

Hi,
Re Phonetic problem with Amos becoming Hemus.
I can't help thinking it was the other way round and Joseph traveling to Pembroke c. 18?? his name was interpreted as Amos on the LTA which then reverted to Hemus later.
It appears from IGI ( sorry for introducing it again ) that Hemus was almost certainly from Worcestershire, and that accounts for the derth of Amos and Hemus in Wales and in particular Pembroke. or am I assuming too much ?
regards
robsdad
STAFFS: Hodgkins, Hughes, Ford, Orton, Sharratt, Burns, Devonport, Lambsdale, Law, Mitton, Meek, Obburton, Dalloway,

Offline robsdad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 September 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I have in the last hour found Joseph Hemus on 1851 living with his daughter Mary ( Who IGI have incorrectly named Mary Joseph ) and her husband Joseph Kendall who she married in 1838 in Worcs. They are in Aston Birmingham - Great Lister Street.
J.H. was born in Hanbury Worcs. in 1786  f. John  mo. Mary.  So he did indeed travel to Pembroke for some reason but alas this still does not link him definitely to Elizabeth ( 1811 ).

Hope this is helpful if you pursue the pre 1813 records as you very kindly intimated you would do.

Kind regards
robsdad.

Offline david.axton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 June 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
There are several names mentioned in the above discussion that occur in my family tree.  Peter Axton, a farmer at Angle, Pembs, was a direct ancestor of mine.  His wife was named Elizabeth.  Their eldest child was named Thomas Peter Axton.  Thomas had a son, by Margaret Sinnett, who they named John Thomas Axton.  John married secondly Harriet Leah Bell, whose father was named Hyrum. Thomas and his descendants, and their spouses, all became Mormons and emigrated to Utah.  It seemed that there was a very active Mormon cell in Pembrokeshire and it would be interesting to find out more about it and the relationships that resulted.

Offline david.axton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 November 18 02:31 GMT (UK) »
It is my contention that Catherine F., the wife of Joseph M. HEMUS/AMOS, was born at Angle about 1792,  a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth AXTON.  It is expected that Joseph and Catherine would have married before 1810, when their daughter, also named Elizabeth, was born at Angle.  She was the eldest of three children known to have been born there - the others being Peter Axton (1815) and Caroline (1822).  So Peter and Elizabeth HEMUS/AMOS would have been named after their AXTON grandparents.