Author Topic: Importing tree to Genes Reunited  (Read 3598 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Importing tree to Genes Reunited
« on: Sunday 20 June 04 13:26 BST (UK) »
I am using Generations software to store my tree (although not been very organised about doing it so far) I have now been contacted by my husbands 4 th cousin in Australia through Genes Reunited who wants to view my tree. I started typing the details in yesterday before realising it may have  been easier to import it (never done it before).

I find generations easier to handle for writing the data into and so prefer to use that than continue typing everything into the tree on Genes Reunited. However it says in order to import a tree you must first delete whatever is already there. I don't want to delete what is already typed in and then find the generations one won't import.

So I guess my questions are how do i go about importing the tree, is Generations compatible with Genes Reunited and does anyone have any advce to a novice who so far has only used paper and pen.
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
Re:Importing tree to Genes Reunited
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 04 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Munchies

I also use 'Generations' and successfully sent my tree over to Genes Reunited a year ago.

If you look in 'File' in Generations, you can scroll down to Import/Export a file, where it is possible to make a gedcom copy of your file.

You can then export that as a stand alone file by ordinary e-mail (my preferred choice) or if I remember correctly Genes Reunited will accept the gedcom file - but you will have to delete what you have already entered if you do that.

Preferred way I think is send him your gedcom by e-mail, let him import it directly into his own programme.

Incidentally, my yearly subscription for Genes Reunited ends this month, and I am not renewing it as I get too many stupid enquiries from people who have a similar surname as one included in my tree from 200 or 300 years ago and e-mail me to see if we are related.

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 04 21:03 BST (UK) »
Very simple to import your gedcom into genes connected but make sure all your living people are protected.  And as previously said you need to remove your existing tree completely.

Another idea if the person you are sending it to doesn't have a way of viewing gedcoms you can send them descendancy charts as simple text files - you can generate them with PAF & Legacy so I presume you can with generations.

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 22:50 BST (UK) »

As a real beginner, last year I started putting my tree into GenesReunited, however I stopped adding names as there were problems if you made a mistake and needed to delete someone...

I have just downloaded the LDS PAF and am finding it easy to use.  I have just exported my names from GR to save typing out the hundred or so names all over again, when I am up to date I will put it back on GenesR.  

I have to say I agree with Chris you do get some odd folk contacting you at times but I have also made two veryusefull contacts who are both researching the same families as myself.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: Importing tree to Genes Reunited
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 04 12:00 GMT (UK) »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I too have successfully imported a GEDCOM file to GenesReunited (using Family Tree Maker) and I must say I like the site - have been contacted by some genuine family members.

My problem is that they only accept one 'tree' which I find crazy, as I personally have eight trees which I would like to import. 

I contacted their technical support about this and received the reply that it's possible to import all my 'trees' as one great GEDCOM file (using Family Tree Maker) - but they didn't tell me how - any suggestions anyone ??  ::) ::) ::) ::)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 04 13:09 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mobo, Thats one of the problems with GR you can't ever get an answer from them; grrr.
If you hav'nt already, try a message on their Tips Board, some kind member has probably worked out how to do it.
S~:0)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 November 04 13:33 GMT (UK) »
 ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the info Suey

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)