Author Topic: Oh Dear, a dark secret discovered in a friend's tree  (Read 19370 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Dear, a dark secret discovered in a friend's tree
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
I would be inclined to tell her.  I've found 'black sheep' when investigating my friend's trees, and they've always taken the news far better than I thought they would  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 September 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
It is well nigh impossible to have a child naturally at 52 - I think the oldest confirmed British mother was 53.  Hasn't she wondered about this?

My g.gran had a child at 50, in 1893,  and it was definitely hers, my gran was 10 at the time her brother was born, so could verify for the fact that her mother was pregnant and gave birth.  It couldn't have been a child of the elder half sisters in any case, as they were pregnant themselves around the same time.

Lizzie

ps.  I think it must run in families, I could still have had a child up to about 56 or so, and had the hormone tests to prove it when the docs were checking to make sure nothing sinister was going on.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
It wasn't impossible for women to have babies over 50, but it's always wise to be suspicious, because it was common for the illegitimate children of daughters to be passed off as the children of the mothers.  Rather easier to get away with in those days, because the clothing of older women tended to be less 'figure hugging' than it is now, and it wasn't unusual for younger women to leave home for long periods when they entered domestic service.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
I would tell your friend, it's part and parcel of the research. What they do about it or choose to believe or not is entirely up to them. At least it may be better to come from you. We have to be prepared for it. A cousin of mother's did n't find out untill he got married, his wife found it out! It was common knowledge amongst the villagers though! He was the son of the local medical professional.

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 September 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
I am seeing her tomorrow  and told her to be prepared for a surprise. Apart from all that I have traced her ancestry back to 1820 so far. With lots of census records and each branch and generation were 'prolific'.

I will let you all know how it all pans out.
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 September 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
I think everyone is hoping for a dark secret to be honest when they start digging! Tell her, but obviously be as tactful as you can. She'll find out anyway from the research you have done.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 September 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
 Father's name on cert is not the same as her father

So if the fathers name is on this birth certificate - was he there to register the birth with the mother? or where they married?

You can't name the father unless he is there at the registering of the birth or the couple are married.

Just thinking that if there is a marriage certificate how are you going to cover up her mother was married before if that is the case?

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 September 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
I have laid it all before her. She said she always had her suspicions.
Then she told me she once met a Mr ********, [the name on the birth cert] who was introduced as a friend of her father!, if it was the same one she said she will never know.
Mr.******** [which is very uncommon name BTW] could be one I found on the 1911 census, age 10 which make about right for the date of the birth cert.

My friend has asked me to investigate further!. She is quite excited about finding out her mother's murky past [her words]. Her mother apparently was a 'butter wouldn't melt' kind of person.

Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 September 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Glad it has worked out well. I think we all hope that we will find a skeleton in the closet somewhere in our tree.  ;D ;D ;D