Author Topic: Roseneath Bay address 1840's - COMPLETED  (Read 8132 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roseneath Bay address 1840's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
but I can just visualize that rising ground title ablaze with flowering annuals. - Alan.

The modern view  does indeed conjure up that image - and I can imagine it like that back in older days too.... whilst I was unable to find an 1840/1850 ish address of Flowerbank/Flower Bank, I did find "Daisy Bank" and "Primrose Bank"  :)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Roseneath Bay address 1840's SUCCESS
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks RootsChat & "AMBLY"

This email has just come in, a week after posting to the address you supplied Ambly:-

QUOTE:
Hello and Good Afternoon Alan

Have to dash back to work soon but got your letter this morning how interesting. I have attached a few pictures of Flowerbank the first one was taken about 20 years ago the rest are most recent. Any information that you may require please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards [signed]

END OF QUOTE
------------------------------------
There appears to be more than one dwelling in the photos supplied, but this attached photo, is probably the oldest photo. [Down sized for posting]

An EXCELLENT result.

- Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

That's terrific  - congratulations your success  :)  How nice of them to get back to you and so quickly and with photos!

I look at that photo and can 'see' a young woman coming up from the bottom into view, back on, dressed in the style of the mid 1800's, a pale hued dress, dark hair with reddish tones, small curls, a slight frizz, walking up toward the gateway and turning right into it.......I swear, that went through my mind almost the instant I looked at it  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
(no charge for the amateur clairvoyance  ;D  ::))
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a terrific result, and one of the quickest results, that I have had in a long time. Though I had tried to pin point FLOWERBANK, some years ago. The house in the photos supplied, is a couple of houses north of the location indicated by the pin, that the search came up with.

I made the envelope eye catching, by printing out the PP marriage clipping with Daily Southern Cross March 11, 1862 [New Zealand] credit on it, plus the address, and four different KIWI stamps. [Kiwi fruit, lawn mower, cricket, swandry etc] in the hope that the local postie, would go the extra mile to see it delivered safely.

- Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roseneath Bay address 1840's - COMPLETED
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again. An update.

New Zealand family members visited the address on a recent UK trip. They met the son of the house, and had phone contact with the present owners that evening. Today I've received an on forwarded email containing more photos from the property, sent to New Zealand, by the owners.

A great result indeed, especially so, when the present owners show an interest in the people who left there, for New Zealand, 150 years ago.

- Alan.