Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65288 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
YES it could well be.  And QLD death certs are VERY informative including parents names as well as  his age and place of birth and names of wife and children/age of each marriage AND how long in the colonies AND where buried and the informants name address and relationship to the deceased.

If this were my tree I would get the death cert before I followed up on anyone else in my tree.

Cheers JM

Could this possibley be Edward's father?
From the Coleraine Chronicle.
30-Mar-67
'At Ipswich, Queensland, on the 24th December last, William Ferguson, formerly of Newtownlimavady, county of Londonderry, aged 60 years.'

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
I have the death cetificate from Queensland for Edward Augustus Ferguson.  He died 1918 and had been in the colony for 57 years.

Glenys

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, but majm is suggesting you get the death certificate for William Ferguson that was mentioned in January.

Could this possibley be Edward's father?
From the Coleraine Chronicle.
30-Mar-67
'At Ipswich, Queensland, on the 24th December last, William Ferguson, formerly of Newtownlimavady, county of Londonderry, aged 60 years.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
Yes I realised that BUT the chap who died Dec 1866 in QLD and the newspaper cutting shows where HE was from COULD be Edward's father as the QLD index shows the 1918 dc has that Edward's father was William Ferguson.  The info on any death cert is only as reliable as the informant's own knowledge.  What if the 1866 death has YOUR Edward Augustus Ferguson as the Informant... 

You would then have first hand info from your Edward about his knowledge of his parentage...  Surely that would be more reliable than third hand info passed down through generations since 1866?

That cutting shows me that someone wrote (so could read and write) to Ireland about the death of William.... So wrote to William's family at an address known to the letter writer.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
So a letter had been written and posted and travelled by seamail and received and read and a notice placed in the newspapers HALF a world away in less than 3 months from the death of William Ferguson ... So the letter writer well knew

who to write to

what address to write to

ADDING and the person receiving the letter knew the sender and believed the contents of the letter.

JM

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
I think the William Ferguson who died in Ipswich is William Leckey Ferguson who died 23 December 1866 in Ipswich, Qld.  He came from Drumachose.

Glenys

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
I did not realise you already had that 1866 QLD cert. 

Who was the informant please?...

JM

I think the William Ferguson who died in Ipswich is William Leckey Ferguson who died 23 December 1866 in Ipswich, Qld.  He came from Drumachose.

Glenys

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:29 BST (UK) »

Glenys

Drumachose Parish/Newtownlimavady is the same area. Since you think this is the same William who died in Ipswich it sounds as though you have not already purchased the certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
I have not purchased this certificate for William Leckey ferguson.  I found the information on Ancestry.

Glenys