Author Topic: Janet Laidlaw (Bell) Death  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Laidlaw (Bell) Death
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm having trouble locating the death certificate of my great great Aunt Janet Laidlaw.  She was born on 18 December 1885 to William Laidlaw and Mary Laidlaw, nee Alexander.  She married a Richard Bell from Jedburgh on the 31 December 1910 in Galashiels.  I suppose there is a possibility that Richard Bell died and she remarried but I am uncertain.  If someone can help me find a copy I would be very appreciative.  Thank you very much.

BordersLass  :)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Laidlaw (Bell) Death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm sure I sent you a poss ref before as it has to be ordered because  it's too recent to be online - a death entry 1975, Thornhill, Dumfries & Galloway - Janet Bell, other name Laidlaw.

gnu

Added - just checked - this info sent on 18th September
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hello again gnu,

Thank you for your response.  The information that you gave me was that Janet died in Thorhnill Dumfriesshire aged 82 in 1975.  I just realised that something sounds amiss as she would have been 89/90 in that year as her birth date is the 18 December 1885.  Thank you for getting in touch again.  If you could shed any more light on this I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.  BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
No more light can I shed as it's the only one showing. Ages are often out on death certs as  the person givng the info might not necessarily know or the age might have been wrongly transcribed - 2 instead of 9, maybe.

The only way that you might find out is to either:

1. Purchase the cert

2. Try finding a burial  - maybe Thornhill but could be elsewhere - you could try phoning Dumfries & Galloway Council and asking for the appropriate local office that deals with Thornhill lairs.

3. A day in the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh - for £15 you could search all the records - http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/

4. A search of local newspapers for an obituary.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
Think I may have the mystery solved.  She may have moved to Northumberland England and died in 1965.  I went into the Chatterbox room and some kind researchers helped!

Thanks again.

BordersLass

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Good if it is  :)  Have you got confirmation that it is definitely her? Wonder if Richard died there too. 

gnu

The reason that I ask is that there are a number of Bells marrying Janets in the North/West Northumberland area  at the approx times.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

In case, the death in Northumberland is not her,  as I noticed that there was a Janet Bell, b. Haltwhistle circa 1885 and she doesn't appear to marry. Haltwhistle was in Northumberland West by 1965.

Other possibles  as Richard Bell was born Carlisle circa 1874

Deaths -

Janet Bell, Mar q, 1963, Carlisle, aged 79
Janet Bell, Sept q, 1965, Carlisle, aged 81

Both within the age range.

All sorts of possibles if the border is crossed.

gnu