Author Topic: help to find a business property  (Read 1215 times)

Offline eharkin1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help to find a business property
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Firstly i hope im putting this in the right section but apologies if not and i will put in correct section if advised.

I am hoping someone can help me find out where my ancestors business might have been and what it might have been called.

My 2x great grandfather has been listed on my great grandmothers wedding certificate as being a laundry proprieter.  He has previously been listed on census's as being a laundryman master . My mum  vaguely remembers that there was a laundry business in the family but doesn't know who inherited it etc.

How would i find the business and where it would have been?

My 2x great grandfather was called Henry Carter and it was 1910 when he had a business.

His family moved around the Banstead street, Astbury Road and Ivydale Rd are in Peckham throughout his and his  daughters life.

Im really unsure as to how to find this out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Carter: herts, peckham
Jacobs: London, Camberwell
Webb: London
Ellis: London
King: Bletchingley, Essex, middlesex
Ryland: Essex, West Ham
Sadler: Essex
Gowers: Essex

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help to find a business property
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
You could try the Historical Business Directories http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Also the Southwark Local History society (also FHS) which is run from the Peckham Library, just google it.

They were based at Peckham last year, but are usually in the John Harvard Library in the Borough High St. SE1.

The phone number does come up when you google.

Have used them in the past and they are very helpful.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
First of all I would find the family in the 1911 census. If they were "living over the shop" then you get all the information inone go!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)