Author Topic: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s  (Read 14276 times)

Offline joflowo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there Im doing some research on the Prittys, for my friend, Julie Pritty, she is daughter of John Pritty, whose the son of Frank Pritty,son of John Pritty, all with ties to Aston and Birmingham, we believe he married a Nellie Gould and there are a few siblings whose names seem to tie in, shes just starting up on this, and says she remembers her grandad saying one of her relatives played football called Tom Pritty, all of this seems to match up, could you please help us out if possible, thanks Jo xx

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Sorry I have no knowledge at all of your lines as I am only concentrating on the Suffolk lines and this is a thread in the Suffolk rootschat forum.

I would suggust posting a message up on the Warwickshire forum, the link is below:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,38.0.html

I would however give more details with dates and so on about the people you are looking for.

However it sounds to me as if the information you have is too recent for any rootschat posters to be able to help you much.

Good luck with your research.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline tonyoz777

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 March 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi joflowo, (and anyone else interested) hope you get this message as its quite an old thread I'm resurrecting.

My Grandfather was Thomas Francis Pritty born Aston, Birmingham 1911.  His brother George was born 1915 and played for both Aston Villa and Notts Forest.

Their father was John Pritty who was born in the parish of St Pancras London around 1881(which was listed at that time as Middlesex).  John Pritty married Ellen (Nellie) Gould in Aston, Birmingham.  John Pritty died 1930, Ellen Gould 1969.

PrittyTom who has posted some way down the thread is my Uncle, grandson of John Pritty.

If I can help at all please post   :)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 June 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Just to register my own Pritty/Pretty interest ...

Maria Pretty/Pritty married John Vincent in Weybread in 1802. They are my great-great-great-grandparents. I haven't been able to pursue her own ancestors but she could be the daughter of Charles and Elizabeth IF (big IF!) she was the one baptized over the river in Brockdish, Norfolk.

Their son George was born in Fressingfield in 1804. (Not the 1807 George with whom he seems to be frequently confused!).

Thanks everyone.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline dianewpratt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 August 19 01:23 BST (UK) »
It’s been 4 years since the last posting on this thread but I am new to the Pretty line. Just last month, via DNA, I determined that my husband’s great grandfather John Pratt (1818-1904) was actually born John Pretty. He was baptized 13 Sep 1818 in Westleton. His parents were James Pretty/Elizabeth Algar who md there 14 Jul 1818. (I have not seen the original registrations – took info off transcriptions on Ancestry.com.) The family had 6 more children all baptized in Westleton: James 1821, Emily 1823, William 1825, Harriet 1828, Susan 1831 and Henry 1832.

In 1836 the family was transported under the Suffolk Poor Law Union in 1836 to Canada. https://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/canada/PLU-Emigrants1836.shtml
The eldest son (my husband’s great-grandfather) was married as John Pratt and retained and passed down the name Pratt. The second son went by James Pratty and later settled in Michigan. The sons William and Henry continued using the surname Pretty. One stayed in Ontario and the other moved to Texas. The daughters all married. All the siblings have descendants who match my husband’s DNA. One daughter named her son Elgar (not Algar). The name Algar was aka Augar.

Given that James Pretty/Elizabeth Algar named their eldest son John, and using the information I’ve gleaned from the prior posting, it would appear that James Pretty b about 1785 was the son of John Pretty b abt 1754 who married Elizabeth Bunn in 1777.

I’ve also been able link my husband’s DNA to descendants of a Jemima Pretty b1795 Westleton who md James Watling in 1814 Westleton. I suspect Jemima to be daughter of John Pretty/Elizabeth Bunn. That family remained in Suffolk.
I also suspect that Hailstone Pretty b 1799 Westleton who md Phoebe Lenney in Westhall in 1822 and then married Charlotte Gooch about 1850 may also be son of John Pretty/Elizabeth Bunn.

Since James Pretty b 1785 disappears from Suffolk in 1836, there would be no descendants in UK searching for him. But it might help others to know that the family emigrated and that two sons revised the spelling of their name to Pratt and Pratty respectively.

Diane Wilson Pratt
Petaluma, CA

Offline prittytom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 May 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm Tom (Thomas)Pritty, who posted earlier. My father was Thomas Pritty of Nechells, Birmingham, and his father John came from Hackney in London.
I have now traced our lineage back the small town of Eye, going back to Thomas Pritty/Pretty in 1480.
It seems that several generations of Pritty ancestors are buried in the churchyard of the beautiful church in Eye. I found that there were 3 generations of Thomas's back at that time, 500 years ago, with no more Thomas's in that line until now, when there are once again, 3 generations of Thomas's (myself, my father and my son).
If anyone is interested I can give more details.

Offline prittytom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 May 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Eye is in Suffolk, which seems to be the root area of the Pritty/Pretty clan in the UK.
This area was settled by Anglo Saxons, probably Angles, perhaps around 500 A.D.
Of course it is interesting that the great archaeological discovery at Sutton Hoo in Suffolk was found on land belonging to Elizabeth Pretty.

Offline tedpretty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Ted Pretty here..my 3rd Great Grandfather was Francis Pretty/Pritty (1808-1885)..an engraver in Lanark, Scotland. His wife was named Janet Lindsay.

My 4th Great Grandfather was Lionel Pritty (1762-1828) from Scotland. His wife was named Anne Frazer.

This is where the search goes cold.

Does Lionel Pritty of Scotland come up in any searches? I cannot find any information on his parents or the parents of his wife, Anne Frazer.

Thank you!