Author Topic: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s  (Read 14277 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westleton - PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 February 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks Clive and thanks wilcoxon for the newspaper article.

This Ann Colby/Pritty was the sister-in-law of my ancestor George Pritty (1784-1861).

It is interesting that three of George's siblings (Henry Pritty, Susanna Pritty and half sister Maria Panks) married three siblings from the Colby family. The Ann you post about was one of them.

I have yet to find a burial for their father Henry Pritty which I would expect to have taken place at Southwold. However no burial seems to be there. His second wife was however buried there in 1826.

Henry married his first wife in 1763 so must have been born before c1742. His last known child was born in 1784 so he died after this date.

There is a Henry Pritty who with Priscilla Critten was witness to the marriage of John Sterry and Mary Strange at Southwold on 24 June 1796. I would assume this was him but it could have been his son who was born in 1776.

I am hoping that the Suffolk parish registers will all appear online at some point for me to have a look through the images.

Kind regards and thanks,
Jon

Offline prittytom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, My name's Tom (Thomas) Pritty from Birmingham.

We know that my grandfather, John Pritty, came here from the Hackney area of London, but his precedents came from Suffolk, around Hollesley/Rendlesham.
One of his forefathers was Haile Pritty, who lived in Rendlesham and married Sarah Read (daughter of John Read) there at the parish church in 1843.
Haile's father was John Pritty (as on marriage certificate).

Does anyone know something about this branch of the Pritty family?

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

I have actually got your Haile Pritty in my research as I believe his family originally came from the Westleton area and as I think my Pritty line probably do too, I have researched them.

However Haile was baptised in Hollesley on 20 October 1822 to John and Sarah Pretty. Haile is in fact living with his father on the 1861 census and this places John Pritty's birth in Westleton in 1778/9.

However the 1851 census for Rendlesham - where John is living next door to his son with a grandson Charles Parker - shows he was born in Worlington. I don’t know which is correct but the mention of Westleton shows he was presumably connected there. Other evidence I will list later seems to confirm this.

The 1841 census for Haile’s father John Pritty in Rendlesham (where his name has been transcribed as Rittey) shows the above Charles Parker in his house (but curiously in a separate household). I have no idea who Charles Parkers parents were although his mother must have been a daughter of John’s.

Also in John’s house are two females with the Pritty name, who it would be supposed were John’s daughters. One is Mahalia Pritty aged 15 and the other Charlotte Pritty aged 20. I assume they were his daughters but Charlotte comes after Mahalia on the census so could have been a different relative.

Also the census enumerator appears to have written in pencil on the form first in the top part of the line and then written in pen after. To me the age of Charlotte looks different to 20 in the pencil version (perhaps 30?) so there could be a possible question mark over her.

Anyway regardless of this the name Mahalia along with the name Haile are big indicators of other family relationships to Pritty lines in the area.

The name Haile is so unusual it must surely be derived from Hailestone Pritty/Pretty, of which two men also bore this name in the area. One Hailestone Pretty was baptised in Eye in 1752 to James Pretty and his wife Anne Daye, while the other was baptised in Westleton in 1799 to John & Elizabeth Pretty.

The name Mahalia is another clue for there is a Mahala Pritty baptised in Eye in 1772 to Robert Pretty and Mary Plamkin. However this does appear to be a more common name in Suffolk than you would imagine. The Hailestone forename, however does seem very unusual.

I have been putting together a tree of these Pritty lines but will not put them here as these are very tentative at this stage.

However we know from a post in this thread that there were no baptisms for Prittys in Westleton between 1725-1745. I therefore think that this Pritty family originated in Eye, then after 1745 a branch moved to Westleton and then another branch (mine) moved on to Southwold.

Only the later parish registers for Westleton may assist further, but aside from burials, the baptisms and marriages do not appear to have been fully transcribed.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Also just come across this website which states what records survive for Suffolk and what has been transcribed:

http://www.sterryworldwide.com/suffbdm.htm

Westleton St Peter (Baptisms 1662-1667, 1672-1810-PR [Note: Baptisms 1780-1799 almost illegible]; Baptisms 1813-1837-PR; Baptisms 1857-1864-IGI; Marriages 1545-1748-Modern Transcript; Marriages 1545-1750-Boyd's; Marriages 1750-1812-PR; Burials 1704-1760, 1774-1774 1779-PR; Burials 1545-1899-NBI; Burials 1545-1899-SUI)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

I've had another look at the Westleton parish registers today (post 1745) but the writing is quite illegible in places - several pages on the fiche are totally unreadable.  The following was all I could manage to glean, I'm afraid.

George Pritty infant buried 23rd Jan 1763 (I looked back for his baptism but just could not see it, sorry)
Susanna d/o George Pritty and Susanna his wife baptised 25th Dec 1764
Elizabeth  d/o George Pritty and Susanna his wife baptised 15th May 1769
Elizabeth Pritty infant buried 31st January 1768
Elizabeth Pritty infant buried 13th november 1772

James s/o John and Elizabeth Pritty baptised Feb 8th 1787
Daniel s/o the above May 17th 1789
(I'm sure there were probably more baptisms within this gap but just couldn't read them)
Mary d/o the above Oct 15th 1797
Hailstone s/o the above Feb 17th 1799
Henry s/o the above 7th March 1802

John Pritty OTP SM
Elizabeth Bunn OTP SW
Married by banns the 11th day of February 1778
Both signed X
In presence of Joseph Bullen (X) James Blowfield (signed)

Banns 25th Jan, 1st Feb, 8th Feb 1778

I checked a couple of times but the marriage of George and Susanna Pritty does seem to have been at Westleton.

I can see from the posts above that you already have some of this information but hopefully you might be able to find something new here.

Anne

Offline prittytom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
I'm very grateful for the information you've both passed on. When I have more time I'll look further into it. Thank you - Tom

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon and Tom

I had time for a fleeting visit to the RO whilst in town this morning so took a look at Rendlesham for you.

The following is all extracted from Rendlesham parish register.

Charlotte d/o William and Mary Pritty bap 11th March 1832
Mary Anne d/o William and Mary Pretty bap 3rd Jan 1830
William s/o William and Mary Pretty bap 3rd Nov 1834
Hezekiah s/o William and Mary Pretty bap 19th November 1837
Hannah d/o William and Mary Ann Pritty of Eyke bap 21st May 1843

Charles s/o William and Lucy Parker of Ashbocken (sic) bap 15th April 1832

Rachel d/o Haile and Sarah Pretty bap 12th Nov 1843
Harriet d/o Haile and Sarah Pretty bap 8th June 1845
John s/o the above bap 4th Apr 1847
Robert s/o the above bap 24th June 1849
Charles s/o the above bap 10th March 1851
Charles s/o Hales and Sarah Pritty bap 24th May 1853
Amy (?) d/o the above bap 10th June 1855
Emma d/o the above privately baptised 21st November 1858

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Also from Rendlesham parish register.

William Pretty SM OTP
Mary Butcher SW OTP
Married by banns 8th June 1829
Both signed X
In presence of Richard Manthorp (signed) and Jemima Pretty (X)

Haile Pretty - full age - labourer - SM
Sarah Reader - full age - servant - SW
Both of the parish of Rendlesham
He signed his name she signed X
Married 12th November 1843
Fathers: John Pretty labourer, John Read labourer
In presence of: Samuel Newson (X) and Charlotte Pretty (X)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PRITTY/PRETTY Family - 1700s-1800s
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Thanks so very much for all this additional information. It really has helped me work out some of the Pretty relationships alot better.

The only confusion I really have is the Henry baptised in 1802 as there is a Henry born c1791/2 who according to the census was baptised in Westleton. He married Mary Ann Aldred in Frostenden in 1812.

Due to his place of birth as Westleton on the 1851 census, I assumed he was the son of John Pritty and Elizabeth Bunn. However with this 1802 baptism he can't be, unless he was baptised aged ten.

Regarding your line Tom, it seems to be me that given your ancestor's name as Haile and his own name as John, that he is most probably the eldest son of John Pritty and Elizabeth Bunn born c1780. His baptism is probably in the illegible part of the parish registers.

When John married is not known so his wife Sarah's maiden name is unknown, but the marriage from their ages musthave taken palce between c1795-1805 as their first known child William was baptised in Hollesley in 1806.

The John who married Elizabeth Bunn in 1777 it would seem must be the John born in Eye in 1754. The reason for this being that this John had a brother called Hailstone born in 1752.

If correct then your line would go back one step further to James Pretty who married Anne Daye in Eye in 1746.

We know that the Pretty family only appears at Westleton in 1763 and I think that my presumed line with Charles Pritty (c1698-1790) and George Pritty (c1735/6-1824) may well have come from Hoxne.

My ancestor was Henry Pretty of Southwold and I believe he was probably the brother of George as his son Henry Pritty junior was apprenticed to this George of Westleton.

Now in Hoxne (3 miles from Eye) there is a Charles Pretty who with his wife Elizabeth had children there between 1729 to 1748. Amongst them is a Henry Pretty born in 1731 and a George Pritty born in 1736. These could well fit the assumed aforementioned brothers.

However this is still at the early stages of working things out as there is a burial of a Charles Pritty in Hoxne in 1769 which could be him and scupper the 1790 burial in Westleton identification.

I am hoping that maybe the burial of Charles' wife Elizabeth at Hoxne in 1780 (the age on her burial placing her birth year as c1704/5) may state she was a married woman, rather than a widow.

If so it would strengthen the probability that Charles Pretty and his sons Henry and George ended up in Westleton and Southwold and were originally from the Hoxne/Eye area.

Hopefully this may become clearer in future, as might the connection between our two Pretty families.

Thanks so much again Anne for you help and do let me know how your research goes Tom.

Kind regards,
Jon