Author Topic: The Beacon, Hindhead  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Dijon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Beacon, Hindhead
« on: Monday 26 September 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any photos of the old LLoyds Bank Training Centre in Hindhead, Surrey?
My husband had some training there in 1959.
I know that it was demolished and new dwellings built there.

Thank you,
Dijon  :)
Census and BMD information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Taken/ Takon/ Tacon One Name Study
Farn   (Essex & Rugby) Hyland  (Croydon & Stanmer Sussex)  Lyddon  (Marylebone)  Lamborn /Lambourn (Ludgershall Bucks )  Taylor (Dorset)
Wickens  (Croydon & Sussex)  White (Croydon)
Mellows  (Chelsea & Kent)  Burkill  (Luddington, Lincs/Reedness, Yorkshire)  Lee (Bethnal Green)
Creasey (Ponders End)  Eastmead (Gloucester)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: The Beacon, Hindhead
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dijon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie,

Yes, it was the first site I looked at but I don't what the building was before LLoyds Bank owned it.

Dijon.
Census and BMD information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Taken/ Takon/ Tacon One Name Study
Farn   (Essex & Rugby) Hyland  (Croydon & Stanmer Sussex)  Lyddon  (Marylebone)  Lamborn /Lambourn (Ludgershall Bucks )  Taylor (Dorset)
Wickens  (Croydon & Sussex)  White (Croydon)
Mellows  (Chelsea & Kent)  Burkill  (Luddington, Lincs/Reedness, Yorkshire)  Lee (Bethnal Green)
Creasey (Ponders End)  Eastmead (Gloucester)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
I can only remember being driven past the road side sign for it and have no recollection of the building (about the same time your husband was there  ;D ) so am afraid I can't help you there. If I recall it was behind the trees.

I wonder if the Surrey History Centre will be able to help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burtonman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Beacon, Hindheadx
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I too attended the Lloyds Training Centre on various occasions between 1985 and 2002. The Francis Frith site mentioned below does have old photos of the building on it.  Before becoming the Lloyds Training Centre (in around 1950) the property was known as The Beacon Hotel. The photos on the site below seem to be much older than this but even when I attended courses there in the 1980's the main building had not changed greatly (nor had the bedrooms!). I believe the site has now been redeveloped into housing but from photos I have seen they appear to have used some of the old buildings as a base. I feel sure that the Lloyds archivist department would be able to supply some photos if you asked nicely.

Offline jenkingb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I attended the Training Centre during the late 70s and early 80s and took some pictures while there, including some interiors. There is also one of Moorlands House where, at the time, the actual instruction took place, the Beacon being used for accommodation and dining. If photos from this era would be of interest, please follow this link: http://flickr.com/gp/brianjenking/m8E6MK/

Offline hawai50

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've picked up some negatives (accidentally) from a bric a brac, and within them are some pics of the training centre sign, and possibly the centre (I'm not sure what it looks like).

The pics were taken beteen 61-62 as thankfully the cannisters are labelled with dates. If anybody knows who the pics are of, I'm trying to reuinted them with family.

All the pics including the Lloyds pics are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.902732943147278.1073741838.403186669768577&type=3

Offline James Mackinnon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I was there in 1971, met some great people from around Britain

Offline NE2 3PN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 July 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
I have a few pictures from Hindhead, see; https://www.flickr.com/photos/59662214@N06/5825321656  https://www.flickr.com/photos/59662214@N06/27583576793  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3465702

I had placed a lot more on the Friends Reunited website but it seems they've given up so we're no longer able to reunite. If anyone is interested I can probably dig them out from dusty old files. I was at Hindhead in the summer of 1966 (when the World Cup was taking place) and again about 1976.