Author Topic: Challenge: Find Phebe  (Read 9353 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: Find Phebe
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 29 September 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Some background info on the Trotmans of Winchcombe..

Found in Gloucestershire notes and queries, Volume 5 p493
taken from http://www.archive.org (out of copyright public domain so ok to post here!)

There are lots of mentions of Trotmans throughout who apparently "abound" in the area.  But this page specifically deals with those in Winchcombe..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0f9w/ (large original in photobucket)

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Angel Inn

The historical handbook and guide to Oxford - James J. Moore 1878  p 14
(again from www.archive.org - no copyright issues)

Angel Inn was a very famous Inn where the stage coaches arrived - was demolished in 1868 so the University could build some buildings (presumably the ones see in google street view mentioned earlier in this thread)...which is why we can't find "Back of the Angel" now.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thomas Munday , whose will was proved in 1792, left a widow Ann, a son Thomas and three daughters Ann, Elizabeth and Mary.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thomas Munday , whose will was proved in 1792, left a widow Ann, a son Thomas and three daughters Ann, Elizabeth and Mary.

He also had property in the High Street and St Peter  (near where Nuffield College is today)   ;D ;D ;D

PS - I'm investigating the possibility of son Thomas being married to a Phebe but so far nothing - also, could Munday become Day  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:42 BST (UK) »

It would be really good if a Thomas Trotman was one of the Winchcombe Trotmans who appear on the memorial inscriptions for the Winchcombe family...unfortunately that only mentions William and James who appear about the right age and were living in 1801

Milly

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
In 1941 brothers William (75) and James (65) are living together at High Street, Winchcombe. both born in county. occupation hard to read but could say Ind.  (independent means?)
HO107/360/13/13
(update - yes same ones considered by Arranroots and found by Gnu earlier but now with added MI info!)

Obviously in 1841 no mention of married/widowed etc. ..  and neither is there a mention on the memorial inscription. MI does say there are no descendants and that is the end of the Winchcombe Trotman family line...Did the brothers never marry?

Going from memorial details rather than census - William would have been approx 38 in 1801 and James approx 25...either age would be appropriate for the letter.

Address for next entry is Silk Mill Lane, and on the next page Castle Street(?)

Where exactly was the letter found? Could any of these addresses match up?

Milly

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Milly

The census entries for the  brothers (and the wills, etc) were discussed very early on in the thread and the letter was found at Almsbury Farm - on the links that Arranroots put up on her first posting.

Lots of the info on the thread is starting to repeat 

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 29 September 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
ah - I missed that between the links. I see you are leaning towards old James Trotman... I agree he looks very promising!

Milly

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 29 September 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
I've been  searching for something on Phoebe (alts) Mundy (alts) since Arranroots put the query up - either  marriages of a Phoebe to a Mundy or a Phoebe Mundy marrying someone else. The only one that keeps popping up is this from the Sarum Marriage Bonds :

Marriage, Uffington 3 Jan 1807 Phoebe Mundy and Thomas Lockey. Both of the parish of Uffington.  Bondsman - Moses Wilkin of Goosey

Thought I'd share it in case it's relevant.

I also recall seeing the baptism of a Phoebe Day in Bisley (?) at one stage.

gnu