Author Topic: WESTMAN / FURLONG  (Read 12808 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WESTMAN / FURLONG
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
It's not uncommon for early baptismal records not to record all the children in a family (possibly because details might not have been written into the register at the time).

The name Saunders comes from the name Alexander which is why they were often used interchangeably.
http://www.sandersweb.net/PDF/saunders.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the reference piece on Alexander/Saunders. It was a very interesting read.

I take your point about missing baptisms but surely the same would not apply to marriages. Any thoughts or suggestions on the missing Westman/Furlong c1837 ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 12 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Which parishes did you search for the marriage ?

Do you know where the bride came from ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 February 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth extending the search to the neighbouring Co. Laois parishes to Rosenallis and Clonaslee / Kilmanman - if they have records back that far. i.e. 

Castlebrack to the north,
  Rearymore between Rosenallis and Clonaslee / Kilmanman

and maybe

Ardea to the east

Clonenagh/Clonagheen
  and Offerlane to the south

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 February 12 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane.
You are obviously talking about civil parishes. I searched the C of I parishes of Rosenallis which covers the civil parishes of Kilmamman, Rearymore and Rosenallis plus the C of I parish of Clonaslee which covers part of the above but only after 1814. The C of I parish of Mountmellick did not start till 1840 - too late for me.

Re the brides family, as I said in an earlier post her parents were married just across the border in Offaly but their first two children were baptised in Rosenallis, then the missing Ellen, then the three youngest in Clonaslee. So you would have to think I am in exactly the right area but her baptism and marriage are missing.

John

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 February 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
or before the start of the records for the relevant parish..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Westie51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 May 18 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
Just been speaking (Facebook Messenger) with a likely ancestor in Mountmellick and decided to do some internet searching and came across your posts re Westman / Furlong.

Richard and Ellen were my Great Great Grandparents. Their son John (born in Sydney, Australia) had a son Alexander (my Grandpa) and my Dad, Harold was Alexanders son.

Didn't know anything about my ancestry until my Dad passed away and I did quite a bit of research to trace this back.

Can I ask what your link is to Richard and Ellen?

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Have you looked For Richard Westman/ Ellen Furlong marriage in Roman Catholic registers
It may have been a Mixed marriage.

Jfch

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Westie51.
I am descended from Richard, born 12 Nov 1842 in Sydney NSW, the third son of Richard and Ellen. He married Sarah Ann Roberts at Ipswich, Queensland but lived for many years at Glebe in Sydney. Do you live in Sydney? I live in Brisbane and as you can see from my posts did a lot of work on the Westman family extending back to the area around Mountmellick. I was never able to find the marriage of Richard Sr and Ellen but in answer to jfchaly, I did not consider Catholic registers because I found Ellen's parents and siblings in Church Of Ireland registers.
John