Author Topic: WESTMAN / FURLONG  (Read 12811 times)

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WESTMAN / FURLONG
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Richard WESTMAN and his wife Ellen (nee FURLONG) and 2 yo son Saunders emigrated from Queen's County to Australia in 1840. My research leads me to believe that they came from the area immediately west of Mountmellick in the civil parishes of Rosenallis, Kilmanman and Rearymore. As they were Protestant, I believe it is necessary to focus on the C of I Parishs which cover this area. This seems to be mainly Rosenallis plus Clonaslee after 1814. The C of I Parish of Mountmellick did not start till 1840. Previous research at the National Archives found the baptism of son, Saunders, in the C of I Parish of Clonaslee in Sept 1838 and the baptisms of Ellen's siblings in 1815, 1817 and 1820. There was no success with the marriage of Richard and Ellen (c1837) or of their baptisms (c1809 and c1813 respectively).

I feel that my effort now needs to concentrate on Rosenallis but the previous researcher commented that many pages in the copy held at the National Archives were extremely faint and almost illegible, and I have been trying to confirm that the version held at the RCB Library would be the original, or at least a better copy. Information from the Library is inconclusive. I have also heard a suggestion that the original may be in the custody of the Rector of the Parish.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or suggestions. I am prepared to pay for another researcher if that is what it takes but there seems little point in going over the same copy at the National Archives.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WESTMAN / FURLONG
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 10:43 BST (UK) »
Perhaps if you can contact the rector of Rosenallis COI, you may get assistance.

The photo below is a sign outside the church in Rosenallis.
Jack

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Contact details on Church of Ireland website-
http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioceses/parish/15460
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
St Josephs Roman Catholic cemetery Mountmellick (Westman)
The list is from County Council Records and listed beside all the names mentioned is RC (Roman Catholic)
Jack

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
St Josephs cemetery Mountmellick (Furlong)

Furlong William; 2, (ftr.William) Garoon, 13/5/1931
Furlong Annie; 1 (ftr. John) Main st, (Carers child) 3/1/1938
Furlong Robert; 63, labourer, widower, Garoon, 24/8/1968
Furlong Mary; 68, married, Garoon, 17/3/1948
Furlong Margaret; 80 (COI) widow, Tinnahinch Rosenallis, 14/10/1/974
(I think that is a mistake, Tinnahinch is in Clonaslee)
Furlong Catherine; 70, widow, Derrycloney, 11/2/1979
Furlong William; 76, labourer, Derrycloney, 25/10/1970
Furlong Betty; 52, married, Derrycloney, 12/2/1987
Furlong Leslie; 72, ESB retired, Lord Edward st, 18/3/1995
------------------------------------
Jack

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jack for you two messages. It is a good idea to contact the Rector at Rosenallis and I will try to do that.
Regarding the cemetery records, I neglected to give Ellen's parents who were in fact John and Ellen (Eleanor) Furlong and all indications point to them as Protestant rather than RC. Also this seems a new cemetery - all names listed are nearly 100 years after my family.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
A lot of the 'headstones' in Rosenallis COI are flat on the ground and have suffered with the weather over the years and almost impossible to read, but I'm sure the Rector will have records.
Jack

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
The Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarnham has Baptism, Marriage and burial records for Rosenallis back to 1801.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline beato

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 12 00:43 GMT (UK) »
In the 5 months since my original post I have now discovered Richard's baptism on 1 Jan 1809 in the C of I Parish of Rosenallis, but have still not found his marriage to Ellen Furlong in either Rosenallis or Clonaslee despite the fact that their first child was baptised in Clonaslee in 1838. Also I have now found the marriage of Ellen's parents a few miles across the County border in the Parish of Geashill, County Offaly but cannot find Ellen's baptism despite having found the baptism of her siblings in either Rosenallis or Clonaslee. Any ideas please?

I have also found in the family an interchangeability between  the names Alexander and Saunders. Richard's father was christened Alexander but on Richard's baptism is recorded as Saunders. Then Richard's own son, baptised in Clonaslee as Saunders became Alexander after arrival in Australia. Can anyone shed any light on this?