Author Topic: Any help appreciated =)  (Read 2507 times)

Offline juggernautboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any help appreciated =)
« on: Wednesday 28 September 11 03:37 BST (UK) »
I am desperately trying to find out some more info about my family Stegenwaldner and Burnet. Furtherest back we can get with the Stegenwaldner name is Theodore and furtherest back for Burnet is Charles Auguste that you will see below. I would also love to know more about Frederique Steven.

Theodore Stegenwaldner b 1870 d 1911 in St Petersburg Russia Married Marie Burnet b 1870 Riga, Latvia d 1959 I think she would have died in Burtigny.

They had children by the names of Alphonse, Boris, Georges, Lily, Walter and Bruno. I know when Walter came to Australia he dropped the Stegenwaldner and took on his mothers name of Burnet, I'm not sure if the other children took their mothers name too.

Marie Burnets parents were called Charles Auguste Burnet and Frederique Stevens but I am not sure where they came from possibly Swiss or even Scottish.

Marie had brothers and sisters by the name of Eugune, Henri, Nikolai, Sophie and fanny.

This side of the family is a complete mystery to me, I have all these names of the children and their childrens children but I can not find any of them except when Bruno naturalised to Brazil and when Marie went back to Burtigny.

I have also found mention Walter Stegenwaldner coming to Australia on a ship with his wife and son.

I have a tree on Ancestry as does my uncle but as far as we can tell we are the only two people with any info on this family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Offline juggernautboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any help appreciated =)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 03:39 BST (UK) »
I have my Grandfathers CV (Walter Stegenwaldner Burnet) someone has had a look at it for me and here is a summary of info that may help.

----

It says his mother Mary Augusta BURNET was born in 1870 as a Swiss citizen... so that would suggest to me her parents (or at least one) were from Switzerland; is that right?

The CV also describes the death of Walter's dad Theodor Charles STEGENWALDNER (11.9.1911 from blood poisoning) and says Walter's mother Mary Augusta BURNET in July 1920 went to Switzerland with Walter's "3 small brothers and sister".... (possibly because Mary still had family there?)

The way Walter's siblings were described as "small" also suggests to me that they were younger than him (one brother from your list must have died before mid-1920). This would mean they were all born after 1901 and likely before 1911 (before father's death) in St. Petersburg (because the family appears to have been there after 1901, through to 1920)... so this could at least give you rough birth years to look for if required.

So if you know that Bruno naturalised to Brazil; and Walter ended up in VIC Australia from 1949, this leaves their sister Lily and two out of the other 3 brothers (Alphonse, Boris or Georges) who are in Switzerland in 1920 but from there unknown.

Although the CV doesn't mention about any siblings leaving Switzerland (even though you know at least 2 did emigrate), it does suggest one brother later went to Germany -- in that Walter went to Germany in April 1939 to "assist sick brother" -- probably slightly too early to be WWII-related & possibly something to do with the Stegenwalder side of the family? The CV does mention that Walter's father Theodor was born in a "German colony" in St. Petersburg, so this kind of suggests to me that Germany is where Theodor might be from originally.

So locations-wise, if it were me, I'd be looking in Switzerland for the birth of Walter's maternal grandfather Charles Burnet (especially the Burtigny area if you think that's key); in Switzerland again in case one or more of Walter's siblings stayed there, possibly with their mother; and possibly also Germany esp around 1939 for a possible lead on one of his brothers (unless it was Bruno who would have obviously recovered enough to end up in Brazil), as well as possible earlier Stegenwaldner history pre-Theodor.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
I've been dabbling in Swiss genealogy over the last week and can at least confirm to you that the surname BURNET was recorded in:

Kanton Waadt/Vaud:  Burtigny and Luins prior to 1800, Berolle in 19th century

Kanton Genf/Genève: Genève in 1899

I would guess that Marie's father was a citizen of Burtigny (Swiss people were citizens of a community first and foremost) and that she had inherited the status.

You might like to try www.geneal-forum.com, which is ana excellent tri-lingual forum.

Walter arrived in Melbounre on the SS Skaugum with George and Elfriede in 1949.

http://www.immigrantships.net/v6/1900v6/skaugum19490531.html

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 07:27 BST (UK) »
Stegenwaldner indicates someone who came from the Stegenwald (Stegen Forest).

I have seen a number of early 18th century records regarding Stegenwaldners emigrating from the Salzburg (Austria) region to East Prussia.

Further investigation reveals that there is a Stegenwald near Golling on the River Salzach, in the Tennen Mountains south-east of Salzburg.

Offline juggernautboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Oh wow! Thank you so very much Justin for taking the time to look into this for me! I really really appreciate it! Thank you!

You have given me a lot to look into now!

Am I right in presuming that the original name was Stegenwaldner and then the d was dropped later on? Or possible the other way round or do you think it would be two completely different families?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
No 'd' has been dropped. Or am I missing something?

I have extracted this from a German text on google books:

Joseph and George Stegenwaldner from St. Johannis (Salzburg) arrived in Königsberg on the Gottfried Trewelow on 16 Sep 1732.

St. Johannis is now called St. Johann im Pongau, and is located on the River Salzach south of Salzburg.

Presumably, you have come across the reference in the communal archives of Burtigny to the reinstatement of the citizenship of Burtigny to Marie-Auguste-Frédérique Stegenwaldner born Burnet and her four children in 1940?

Offline juggernautboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, when I was asking about the 'd' being dropped I just ment that there is a lot of Stegenwalners out there and I was wondering if it is probable that they were originally Stegenwaldners. (hope that makes sense)

Yes, I have come across Marie-Auguste-Frédérique Stegenwaldner in the communal archives of Burtigny  thank you  :)

I have looked at every link google has provided me on the 4 pages when typing in Stegenwaldner.

So I guess everything is pointing to my family possibly coming from Joseph and George Stegenwaldner from St. Johannis (Salzburg)?

Thanks again!

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
There can be no doubt that your Stegenwaldner forebearers were amongst the so-called Salzburger Emigrants (salzburgische Emigranten). Read more here:

http://www.pfaenders.com/html/salzburger_expulsion.html

A fascinating chapter of European history.

There are numerous old German texts available.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
The following men (all born in St. Johann) and their families were expelled from Salzburg and made their way to Prussia. The data in blue comes from 18th century German texts; the two at the bottom appear in a family tree on rootsweb.

Joseph Stegenwaldner arrived in Königsberg on the Gottfried Trewelow on 16 Sep 1732 with wife and five children
George Stegenwaldner arrived in Königsberg on the Gottfried Trewelow on 16 Sep 1732 with wife and child
Rupp Stegenwaldner on the Michel Adam on 16 Sep 1732 with wife
Jacob Stegenwaldner on the Haacken 17 Oct 1732 with wife and four children

Matthes Stegenwaldner went overland to Prussia, arriving on 22 Sep 1732
Christian Stegenwladner arrived in Memmingen on 9 Feb. 1732 on the way to Prussia via Ulm
Philipp Stegenwaldner arrived in Memmingen on 9 Feb. 1732 on the way to Prussia via Ulm

Wolfgang Stegenwaldner, b. 1711 St Johann, d. Karteningken, Tilsit, East Prussia
Balthasar Stegenwaldner, b. c1683 St Johann, d. Jonienen, Ragnit, East Prussia