Author Topic: Annie O'Malley from Mayo  (Read 60480 times)

Offline JayUU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie O'Malley from Mayo
« Reply #153 on: Saturday 09 November 13 18:25 GMT (UK) »
PART 2 :-)
---------------

can you tell me more about Mary Morrison?
and her family?
where are they from?

I don't know much about the Morrison family except that their father was James, a farmer (possibly a butcher?) from Mayo and their mother was Bridget (don't know surname).

Thomas Staunton & Mary Morrison had 12 children in total. 2 sons, James & Peter fought & were killed in World War 1. I have a photo of the family headstone.

From my research, it's clear that the majority of the Fitzpatrick family stayed in Liverpool. I've got Norah's older brother James, marrying Mary Sweeney & had 6 children.  Norah's older sister Mary Evadne ("Vaddy") married John Pemberton & had 2 daughters.

But Norah also had 7 younger siblings:
Thomas Henry
Joseph G
Henrietta "Rita"
Kathleen J
Henry P "Harry"
John P
Patrick P.

my mom told us last night that there were 3 sisters who were just to go to massachusetts to work as milliners or something, but then Mary met Thomas Stanton who was older than she, seemed to be doing well, so she stayed in l-pool.

Your post has actually given ME some new information.
(1) It sounds like the plan for Morrison sisters should have been for them to go to the USA - but pork butchering in Liverpool clearly was a big attraction! :-)
(2) I didn't know that Henry "Harry" Fitzpatrick was a Scottish footballer - I'll need to look into that!

Honor and Thomas Patrick did very well indeed. They had 3 daughters and instead of having them schooled in Liverpool, had enough money to send all 3 to a convent school in Belgium.

One of Bridget's brothers, Myles Staunton, emigrated to the US around 1900-1910. So you probably have some Staunton cousins over there.

my mom need to help tell this better than i am, but we were just talking about this last night, so this is very timely.

I hope your Mum makes sense of this. I'd be very interested to hear how she is related to John Burnes Campbell Ross and Norah Winifred Fitzpartrick.

thank you!
tracey

No problem and hope that's useful,

John
WALSH - Ireland
CRINGLE - Liverpool, Isle of Man, Ireland
TYRER - Liverpool & Chesterfield
STAUNTON - Liverpool & Co. Mayo, Ireland
MORRISON - Liverpool & Co. Mayo, Ireland
KÖNIG - Turn-Teplice, Czech Rep.
POSPICHIL - Turn-Teplice, Czech Rep. & Sarajevo, Croatia
HEPBURN - Blackpool & Fylde, LANCS
ROSS - Blackpool & Fylde, LANCS
HESSELDEN - Sheffield, YORKS

Offline dundurn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Saturday 05 October 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all!
I am descended from Hugh MacDonell (or McDonnell or MacDonald!) who you have identified as living at Six Noggins at the same time as Anne Durkin was living with the Macdonalds at Tallavbaun (or Thallabawn or Silver Strand). Hugh was a Scot who came to Mayo as a shepherd around 1871, initially living at Dadreen and later at Six Noggins. The Durkin family had been tenants in the area for many years until they were moved off by an incoming landlord. The land was rented out to sheep graziers based at Killary Lodge, hence Hugh getting a job offer in Mayo. James MacDonald was Hugh's third child, born in Scotland in c1870 married Honor Durkin and moved into Tallavbaun. He and Honnie had a large family some of whose descendants still live in the area and some with whom I am in contact. James' grandson lives in Co Clare and grand-daughter lives in Galway. Someone in the family may have the info you are looking for. I'll ask!

Offline abyrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Saturday 05 October 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you! It’s been a very long time since anyone posted on this thread.

My great grandmother was Bridget nee Durkan O’Malley. She was Honor’s sister.

I would love to hear any stories about the family history. I will gladly share any info I have about the Durkans/Durkins if you do not have it and are interested.

I do not have any info on the Durkan family before Martin. But, I do now know where all Honor’s siblings went.

If you would like my email private message me .

Kind Regards

Anne

Offline chance_

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Sunday 07 May 23 00:09 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this info is still relevant on this thread, but Catherine (Kitt) O'Malley is my great grandmother. I don't actually have too much information, but she married into the Philbin family when she came to the US, and lived in Massachusetts.

Hopefully that can help someone track down any information they might be looking for.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 08 May 23 10:52 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Honor Durkin married James McDonnell of Tallavbaun (sp?) 5 May 1895.

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1895/10547/5842088.pdf

James living at Sixnoggins townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/murrisk/kilgeever/owennadornaun/sixnoggins/

Honor living at Tallavbaun townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/murrisk/kilgeever/owennadornaun/tallavbaun/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo