Author Topic: The Hughs family of County Wicklow  (Read 13121 times)

Offline redhugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Hughs family of County Wicklow
« on: Thursday 29 September 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Have located our Hughs family, after 10+ years of searching.  They are from Wicklow...have a baptism record that states, Mullinaskea, in Parish/District of Killaveney...They were Roman Catholic.  There were three sons born to James and Julia Redmond Hughs, Thomas, about 1838...John, about 1839...and Andrew, born 1841.  James then immigrated to Elmsley, Leeds, Ontario, Canada around 1845.  There is a Patrick Hughs and wife Margaret Lacy (Lacey) and a Thomas Hughs and wife Ellen, who immigrated to the same area, about the same time, also from Wicklow.  If there are any Hughs out there who wish to know something of what happened to their families after they left Ireland, please get in touch. 
I would appreciate some assistance in locating the exact area of Wicklow  that Mullinaskea would be located in????  Not sure but think it is a Townland???  one site I found listed Tinahely, Arklow..as part of the location...is this correct??

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: The Hughs family of County Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
Killaveney RC parish is to the west of Arklow parish and covers the civil parish of Kilpipe, which is split between counties Wicklow and Wexford.

I dont see a townland named Mullinaskea in the parish though... maybe it's mistranscribed ?  See the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
not in Kilpipe Civil parish, but the closest match I can find is Mullannaskeagh

Townland : Mullannaskeagh   
  Acres : 263
  Barony : Ballinacor South
  Civil Parish : Kilcommon
  PLU : Shillelagh   
  County : Wicklow

Kilcommon civil parish is immediately to the west of Kilpipe... so could be close. I'll try to locate it on the OSI map to see how close it is to the parish border..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Mullannaskeagh on the OSI Map - link

It's located on the road between Tinahealy and Hackettstown, and just to the north of Whiterock - link (Google Map)

The townland is located approximately 10km to the north west of Kilpipe civil parish, the border of which is to the south east of Tinahealy town.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline redhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information...am wondering if the townland borders have always been the same?  Also wondering what the name means??
 Because we couldn't find a baptism record for Thomas or John, it was suggested that they may have been baptized in Wexford, which makes sense if the parish covered parts of both counties. 

The spelling of the surname can be confusing.   Hughs was also listed as Hues on one census in Canada and I have seen it as Hews...as well as Hughes.  Noticed that my Great Grandfather used the Hughs version on the first US census after immigrating to the US but after that it was Hughes.  I think they could read and write, so it seems they knew what they were doing when they used the Hughs version while in Canada, as it seems to be used also on the records I have found in Wicklow.  Did that same thing happen in Ireland?  I can't find any Hughs when I search in today's Wicklow???
It is really great to at least be able to look at the place on a map...never thought it would happen!!  Thanks again!

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm a native to the Killaveney area with Hughes ancestry.  I noticed that the parents of Andrew Hughs in the birth record are listed as James Hughes and Judy Redmond (rather than Julia as in your post).  I did a check and can see there was a further baptism to the same parents in the Killaveney parish, a daughter Susan in 1834.  It may be worth checking this record on rootsireland.ie to see if it gives further information.

I've traced my own Hughes line to Rathshanmore East which is in the Hacketstown Parish not far from Mullanaskeagh.  I know that some members of that family emigrated to North America in the Fitzwilliam clearances. 

Hope this helps,

Shane

Offline redhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 11 02:40 BST (UK) »
It would be great if our Hughes lines intersected!  It is possible...do you have your tree on-line?  Mine is at Ancestry..could send you an invitation..if you go on-line and look for Elmsley, Leeds, Ontario you will find information about the Irish that settled there..many were part of the Fitzwilliam group..again, thanks..Peg

Offline kyushukev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I was pretty amazed to find this thread as I've also got Hughes (and Lyons) from Carlow/Wicklow.
Looking for the parents of Thomas Hughes, who married Mary Lyons 2 Nov. 1865 in Rathvilly. His father's name is Patrick, and that's about all I've found.
Thomas and Mary had 5 children: Mary, Dora, Patrick, James and Thomas.
They emigrated to New Brunswick NJ in the 1880's.
I know Mary's parents were Luke Lyons and Betty Stewart.  I'm looking to see if  Patrick Hughes and Betty Moore,married 11 May 1839 in Rathshanmore, had a son Thomas. They had William, and William Hughes and Elizabeth Hughes sponsored Thomas's daughter Mary in 1866.
I guess Thomas s/o Patrick and Margaret Lacy has been claimed.

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
@Peg
My sincere apologies, I never saw a notification for your response in October  :(
I'm trying to get my family tree online at the moment.  I'd love to see your family tree on Ancestry, if you could send an invitation to *.
I have made some more progress lately on the family having seen the Fitzwilliam records at the National Library in Dublin.  There are tenant and rental records which should give more information on your family.  Unfortunately I do not have the records for the Mullanaskeagh area, but I hope to visit the library again soon so I could look these up.

@Kyushukev
I have tenant records for Rathshanmore for 1827, 1839, 1848 and 1850 but the only Hughes there is Terence Hughes, my ancestor.  However, in Rathbawn which is an adjacent townsland there are several Hughes, including 3 Patrick Hughes, a Thomas Hughes and a William Hughes in the 1827 and 1839 listings (unfortunately I do not have the Rathbawn listings for the subsequent years, but these could help answer your question.)  You can see these families on the Griffiths Evaluation site:
http://askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
These families are certainly related to my own as the names all match.

In Rathbawn in 1839 there is a Patrick Hughes, a labourer aged 30 and single - this could well be the Patrick who married Betty Moore the same year.  I note from the Hacketstown parish records that Patrick Hughes and Betty Moore also had a son called Laurence in 1842.  This is a name that is continued in my own branch of the Hughes.

In Rathshanmore in 1848 there is a Christopher Moore (a labourer aged 40 with a wife aged 24 and one son living at the house).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php