Author Topic: Lookup Toronto...Borret BHC  (Read 10607 times)

Offline bgood

• my email are not working.... over quota!
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Toronto...Borret BHC
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 09 October 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
The TGH records in the Toronto Library archives are extensive. I also find as much information as I can in Census records as well as birth, marriage and death records - I have a subscription to ancestry.ca which has a lot of original documents. all of this is in the public domain, so I have no problem giving you what I have. I have been able to trace Frank from his admission to the TGH in 1869 to his death in 1936. Daisy disappears after the 1891 Census. I have attached what I have found out about Daisy and Frank.

As to their mother Mary, you will note the TGH thought she had died on the passage over, which was of course quite common. I have tried to find a match in UK death records but there are too many possibilities. I have no idea where or even whether deaths onboard ship were registered, particularly in 1868-69 when centralized registration, in Ontario at least, was in its infancy. The English death records at this time were taken from Parish registers, not from a central civil registry.

As to their adoption, there was no such thing as a legal adoption as we know it in Ontario until 1921. Some so called adopted children were lucky enough to be treated like a child of the family, but the reality of farm life was such that they would still have worked almost as hard as any hired hand. Both are shown as servants rather than adopted children in  the 1881 and 1891 Census. That they stayed with the same family for all that time suggests they likely did ok.

Goodwin
Chibnall
Borrett
Spurin
Pederson
Womack
Ross
Potts
Pierson
Muller/Miller

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 09 October 11 02:31 BST (UK) »
Oh, wow! What an outcome for you! Now you know what happened.

Re Mary/Daisy: Did you miss the marriage for Mary to Donald McKay posted by Jacquie back in reply #13 and also the 1911 Census record for her and her husband Donald McKay in the same post? Also, in the same post, we have Francis living with Donald and Mary in the 1901 census (you have this one listed in your summary above).

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mborrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am Mathew Borrett, a grandson of Frank and Alice's only child, Russell. My immediate family's knowledge of my great-grandparents is sketchy at best, and I'm happy to receive this information.

I've wondered a lot about my great-grandparents lately. My cycling route to work takes me past an old walk-up apartment building at Harbord & Palmerston where they lived for some years and were caretakers, and their address on Auburn Avenue is not too far from where I live.

I do know that Frank died after a fall down the stairs while visiting my grandparents, and I think Alice died a year or two later from cancer.

Coincidentally, the morning J.J. contacted me about bgood's search, my wife and I were about to set off on a walk in the beautiful Mount Pleasant cemetary here in Toronto, which is a renowned arboretum. While there I inquired about Frank and Alice and found their grave site. I suspect I'm the first to visit in many decades, for if there is a marker it has since been overgrown and buried. Cemetery staff will be probing for a marker and bringing it to the surface sometime this week.

Last year my father, Alan Borrett, and I met for the first time with relatives in Seaforth, Ontario, who are old enough to have known Frank and Alice in their youth. Its possible they may have more information about Mary/Daisy.

Francis George Borrett
borrett
goodwin
carter
llewellyn
thorpe
grundy
thomas
coates

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat...I swear sometimes we have a tap on the shoulder to look for more...So contacting you that on that day may not have been all my idea...  ;D Just saying, hehe...

We have some very wonderful people on this site as you have read from just this thread, who devote hours and sometimes days to these searches, and they deserve our praise as that is the payment we enjoy, so well done again, all. jacquie gave all the census information and found Daisy...karenlee had found all the early info on Francis and the image of Russel, but I never had time to look for that back when I saw it, or may have seen more then. Guess I wasn't meant to, yet! and polarbear reminded you to write to that lady...

We honour these children who worked so hard to make a life, not of their choosing, here in their adopted home of Canada. It is not unusual to never hear of this from one's own family, as these stories aren't always told. The fact that they were given up by the father would have been a hurtful thing to recall. I am so glad your ancestors had a home where they were allowed to remain together.

I see that your ancestor's sister Mary a.k.a. Daisy never had children...she was married late in life. Had you known about her? Wonder where she and her husband Donald are interred? ( his parents John Mckay Johanna Murray, as found by jacquie in that hard to find misstranscibed marriage)
Also wonder if she was a mystery person in photos, say in that roadster... ;D
all the very best!  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 09 October 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
The last few that I posted together were all information sent to me from Charlotte. I only asked her for information on the children regarding the home and what information they may have had on how they came to be there. She however, was nice enough to look them up in the census records for me. She did not know that anyone else had already found them for me. After I read her posts, I did inform her that I had posted for help on RootsChat and sent her the information that you found on Daisy and Donald Mckay.

Thank you everyone! I've wondered for a long time about George and Sophia's family and what had become of their decendants! I never would have been able to find any of this without you! I hadn't even known that George had a sister!
Goodwin
Chibnall
Borrett
Spurin
Pederson
Womack
Ross
Potts
Pierson
Muller/Miller

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 09 October 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome. Glad things have turned out well.

(Didn't want you to inadvertantly miss some of the info  :), thus my Q)

Regards
Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 October 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
And maybe, I'll even be connected to my newley found Cousin, all because of the people that helped on this thread! I don't even know how I can thank everyone enough!
Goodwin
Chibnall
Borrett
Spurin
Pederson
Womack
Ross
Potts
Pierson
Muller/Miller

Offline bgood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I am now in touch with Matt Borrett! Thank you!  ;D
Goodwin
Chibnall
Borrett
Spurin
Pederson
Womack
Ross
Potts
Pierson
Muller/Miller

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 17:07 BST (UK) »

Francis George Borrett died 13 Jan 1936 York estimated birth 1868 England [my experience is that ages in Census, marriage and death records vary a lot – people just did not keep track very well]

His birth registration can be found at www.freebmd.org.uk in the March quarter 1867 at Thanet registration district, Kent, where his mother's death was registered in the Dec quarter 1867. His birth may well have been 7 Dec 1866 rather than 1868, as a birth in December could well have been registered in January 1867
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell