Author Topic: Holme(s) Colton/Cartmel areas  (Read 3419 times)

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holme(s) Colton/Cartmel areas
« on: Saturday 01 October 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

It all starts with a baptism of my 6 times great grandfather, a George Holme at Colton, Lancashire to Nicholas of "Cringle Myer" in 1753

I believe this Nicholas may be the same Nicholas who married an Elizabeth Strickland in 1741 at Lancaster.  I haven't been able to find any other likely baptisms to Nicholas in the areas, and it does seem like a big leap to get to George's baptism in 1753.

I have checked the BMDregisters website for any quaker baptisms (and any other possible marriages for a Nicholas Holme), but none show up.  I've also checked in the Catholic parish register societies publications for the area for any similar baptisms to a Nicholas, or marriage of a Nicholas, but again no others show up.

George Holmes (then of the parish of Cartmel) married Isabella Hellen at Windermere in 1781.  I also have both of their burials at Windermere.

Has anyone else researched this line at all?  It'd be intriguing to find out more about Nicholas, and George before he married Isabella.

I've checked the historical directories site but there don't seem to be any directories on there between the 1750s and 1781 for the right sort of area.  Are there any available?  If so would any kind person be able to look Nicholas and George up on the directories in the Colton/Cartmel sort of areas?

Also, the only possible Nicholas i've found a baptism for was at Ulverston to a James Holme in 1710.  While I have found the baptism of an Elizabeth Strickland to a Reynold Strickland at Colton in about 1720 off the top of my head. 

Is anyone aware of any other possible baptisms of Nicholas?  Marriages of Nicholas?  Or burials of Nicholas in the areas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this
John

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Holme(s) Colton/Cartmel areas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there

The wedding of Nicholas and Elizabeth Strickland took place
on the 29th June 1741. Both of Lancaster.
It does state however, that Nicholas was a Mariner so
wondered if you might not be able to find out anything
about him if he was off to sea all the time?
It does seem a large gap until George is christened on
9th June 1753 but the children were not always baptised
the same year as they were born.
Looked for Cringle Myer but I am unable to find a village
with that name. Only thing I did find was a Cringle Brook which
was not far from Reddish and which ran into the Mersey. The Myer
part could have been the flood plain which the brook overrun
when flooding?

regards
Sandymc   
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there

The wedding of Nicholas and Elizabeth Strickland took place
on the 29th June 1741. Both of Lancaster.
It does state however, that Nicholas was a Mariner so
wondered if you might not be able to find out anything
about him if he was off to sea all the time?
It does seem a large gap until George is christened on
9th June 1753 but the children were not always baptised
the same year as they were born.
Looked for Cringle Myer but I am unable to find a village
with that name. Only thing I did find was a Cringle Brook which
was not far from Reddish and which ran into the Mersey. The Myer
part could have been the flood plain which the brook overrun
when flooding?

regards
Sandymc   

Hi Sandymc,

Thanks for the response, it is interesting that it is possible that my Nicholas would be a mariner, perhaps travelling around a lot and maybe even getting his children baptised overseas?  Which could be a challenge I suppose, but we all like a challenge don't we?  ;D

If the Nicholas I found baptised at Ulverston was the same one I found the marriage for at Lancaster then the links with the sea were very strong in that part of the world, and it certainly strengthens the case for this being the same Nicholas I think.  Although obviously i'm still a bit cautious about this.

I did find a Cringle Mire Farm in the Bouth area of Colton, i'm guessing that "Cringle Myer" perhaps relates to this same place, and it's just changed its spelling over time.

I also found a burial via the Family Search site of a Nicholas Holme but with no age given from the Presidency of Bombay registers in 1782.  If he was a mariner, then this is a possibile burial to look into more.

Thanks again
Best wishes
John

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
I think Cringle Myers was nearer Milnthorpe than Cartmel or Colton,unless of course there is one here and its name has been lost in time,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
I think Cringle Myers was nearer Milnthorpe than Cartmel or Colton,unless of course there is one here and its name has been lost in time,

Hi Radcliff, thanks for the reply.  I did mention I had managed to find a Cringle Mire farm in the Bouth area.  Do you think this could be the "Cringle  Myer" mentioned? 

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
Very much so it isnt far from Bouth to Colton round the backroad,using family search there is a Jacobi Holme
at Colton in 1678,he Jacobus dies there in 1697,

There is a lovely little church up  at Tottlebank ,this is between Greenodd and Bouth ,it was built around 1669 and later it became a baptist church,the present church on the site was built circa 1697,it might be a starting point as it is very rural,and would have covered the area where you are searching,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Just off subject about Colton.
I was watching X Factor last night and noticed one of the lads
who is with Gary Barlow in LA has the surname Colton and he
comes from Lancashire.
So presumably his ancestors may have come from there??

Pleased to see we have found Cringle Myer.
Kringle is a Viking word meaning ring or circle  and Myre was
the old Norse name for a small village in Lancashire -
being from Yorkshire and speaking quite alot of Viking
words I thought I might bring a little education to the words lol.

regards Sandymc 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Very much so it isnt far from Bouth to Colton round the backroad,using family search there is a Jacobi Holme
at Colton in 1678,he Jacobus dies there in 1697,

There is a lovely little church up  at Tottlebank ,this is between Greenodd and Bouth ,it was built around 1669 and later it became a baptist church,the present church on the site was built circa 1697,it might be a starting point as it is very rural,and would have covered the area where you are searching,

Thanks for the tip Radcliff.  This particular area seems to be quite difficult to work on as well with some of the places being close to or on multiple boundaries in this line, in this area there's also relatives in Hawkshead, Egton, Mansriggs, Crosthwaite, Winster, Bowness and Staveley in Cartmel, with another adjoining line from Millom, although I guess that's all part of the fun   :)

Offline jpnewt75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
Just off subject about Colton.
I was watching X Factor last night and noticed one of the lads
who is with Gary Barlow in LA has the surname Colton and he
comes from Lancashire.
So presumably his ancestors may have come from there??

Pleased to see we have found Cringle Myer.
Kringle is a Viking word meaning ring or circle  and Myre was
the old Norse name for a small village in Lancashire -
being from Yorkshire and speaking quite alot of Viking
words I thought I might bring a little education to the words lol.

regards Sandymc 

No idea on Gary Barlow to be honest Sandymc but that is an interesting little nugget, thanks  :)