Author Topic: The Mystery of William John Irving  (Read 4579 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of William John Irving
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the translation...  :P I did give you a place to ask for lookups... I found the link to the N.B. one but the whole site seems to be locked up...Either overloaded server or other problems...but when it comes up that is the best we can do for you, other than suggest you pay a researcher to do it. These people ask for gas money if that...  www.raogk.org/newbrunswick.htm  I hope you will include the date of the marriage and thank them for their time even if the outcome doesn't match your hopes

Be happy if you can find help. I used to bus it downtown twice a month to do lookups for people but I found there were often cocky replies and requests for more rather than thanks for all my free help...so now I just do it once in a blue moon for thankful sounding queries...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks again J.J.  I will watch for that site going active again.  I just thought someone watching this forum might live near and make occasional trips to where the microfilm is housed.

Jim

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
You don't say where you are located in your profile but if you happen to live in Canada you may be able to arrange an interlibrary loan for this film.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 October 11 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Polarbear,

I updated my profile.  I live in the USA up in the Rocky Mountains.  So, I do not have access to these, or any other, films.

Jim

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 October 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Naturalization Documents

A thought - might there be Naturalization documents available?  Would an immigrant to Canada in the mid nineteenth century become a citizen and documents survive somewhere?  Anyone know if such records exist, and where they would reside?

I understand that maybe my immigrant was already a British citizen (from Ireland) so maybe moving to Canada (within the Commonwealth) is not a citizenship question.  Just thought maybe ...

Of course if there were records and they were kept in Saint John, they probably did not survive the fire. But if kept at the Provincial capitol or Ottawa, etc.; maybe.

I guess the first question is - what is the citizenship status of one who moved from Ireland to Canada in the nineteenth century?  Then was he obligated to become a Canadian citizen, and if so what records of that might still exist?

Thanks,
Jim

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 11 03:52 BST (UK) »
Anyone who came to Canada prior to about 1947 (yes, 1947) remained a British subject. There was no formal Canadian citizenship before this although people seem to have generally considered themselves to be Canadian b/c they lived there now.

There is more info here ....   http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.011-e.html

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again polarbear. 

Just as I suspected, - darn -  and the link you provided confirms it.

Jim

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 March 12 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever ask the archives if they do any free lookups? http://archives.gnb.ca/documents/countyguides/stjohn_en-ca.pdf

Also I see you've added all our search information to your web pages. It would be nice if you gave rootschat a plug as we did all those searches for you...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 March 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
J. J. -

Good idea. I will add a link to RootsChat on my links page.  Of all message boards related to genealogy, RootsChat has been by far the most successful for me.  I should have thought of that myself.

Thanks,
Jim