Author Topic: Victoria Birth – Mary CANTWELL  (Read 9147 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Birth – Mary Cantwell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 06:30 BST (UK) »
I think extreme care is needed in looking at the CANTWELL family who seem to have used the same lovely Irish forenames over and over - as did my own ancestors!

For example:
PROV has a digitised will for a Philip CANTWELL, farmer of Ballan, d 22 March 1903.  The will has a codicil dated 1902 in which he mentions his wife, Mary CANTWELL, his daughter Bridget Angela and son Philip Silvester CANTWELL (sadly KIA in WW1), as well as his sister Ann CANTWELL.  My point being that this could not be the same Bridget who died in Collingwood in 1885 (replies#4 and #6), even though the parent names would appear to be the same.

Philip Sylvester's WW1 record is digitised at the National Archives - he gives his brother John as NoK, and his sister's name is listed as 'Angela' so perhaps her first name of Bridget was not used.  There is quite a lot of correspondence from "Angela' as tracing John P CANTWELL has proved elusive in this record.  

However, the brother John Patrick CANTWELL is  mentioned in the digitised probate papers as living in Oakleigh later. He states in the probate application that he has not been in contact with his stepmother or step sister - thus it appears that Philip CANTWELL was married twice.

There are quite few wills for CANTWELLs in Corop and in Ballan.

Not sure if this is helpful with your Mary but I had an interesting afternoon chasing Philip and his son Philip Si(y)lvester!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 11 06:38 BST (UK) »
PROV has the digitised will for the Thomas CANTWELL, farmer of 'Rockley', Ballan, whose death Sue posted in reply #6

His wife is not named but is still alive (at the time he made the will in 1913); the children named in his will are:
John
Richard
Thomas Patrick
Michael Moylan
Mary Kate
Margaret Josephine
Theresa Bridget

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all of your help.

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
I notice the variations in the surname of Bridget  :-\

The births of Mary Cantwells siblings

Ann born 1879 Coro  Reg#15257
John 1881 Coro Reg# 15555
James 1885 Coro Reg#24727
all have the mothers name as Bridget Handley

Marriage

CANTWELL Michael  (born Tipperary)
HANLEY Bridget ( born Tipperary)
1878  Reg# 1926

Possible death for Bridget ( unfortunately no surname for father given)
CANTWELL Bridget
1888 Collingwood  age 45 years
Father: Philip   Mother: Mary Egan
Reg# 1107

Raylen

Which one could be her surname..Hanley, Handley or Hurley?
Could be Hanley or Hurley, as I searched ancestry.com, the "Ireland, Griffith’s Valuation, 1848-1864 Records" (coincidentally yesterday free access was allowed to that index for the day), so a search for all three in Tipperary, Ireland found many results for Hanley and Hurley, but no results for Handley; so there's some evidence, but is it enough definitive evidence to be convinced of that?

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Some further information on the couple.

Births in Vic

STEVENS Fran Mary
Father: Chas Hy
Mother: Mary CANTWELL
Birth Place COROP
Year 1905
Reg.  9846

STEVENS Margt
 Father: Chas Henry
Mother: Mary CANTWELL
Place ROCHESTER
Year 1919
Reg.  14606

Death of MARGARET

STEVENSMargaret Frances
Father Charles Henr
Mother Mary  CANTWELL
Place: MELB
Age 57
Year 1977
Reg  3105

Death of a man who may be CHARLES HENRY's father

STEVENS Chas Henry

Father: Stevens Joseph
Mother: Albinia GALLOP
Age 72
Death Place Corop
Year 1917
Reg.  1136

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ausvsac/Corop.htm

There are people memorialised at COROP Cemetery who are this family including CHARLES HENRY Snr, Charles HENRY Jnr, MARY ANN and others. Photos are available.

Sue

I am aware of the people memorialised at Corop Cemetery and have info on those people, and have those photos too; but thanks, though, Sue, for this, and for providing info I didn't have on some of the Stevens children.

Offline 2011E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Bridget ( unfortunately no surname for father given)
CANTWELL Bridget
1888 Collingwood  age 45 years
Father: Philip   Mother: Mary Egan
Reg# 1107 RAYLEN

I suspect this woman was CANTWELL by birth not marriage.

There is this death which may be her brother   

CANTWELL Thos
Father Cantwell Philip
Mother Mary EGAN
Age 78
Death Place Ballan
Year 1917
Reg.  10957

Sue

This is probably the death of MARY's mother

CANTWELL Bridget
Father Hanley Jno
Mother Unknown  UNKNOWN
Death Place MALV E
Age 84
Year 1931
Reg  10191

At Fawkner Memorial Park

Burial
CANTWELL.  Bridget
Aged 84
Location  Roman Catholic Compartment G Grave 456.
Service  20/08/1931

Sue

More likely Hanley/Handley/Hurley by birth, and Bridget Cantwell mentioned above? In which case this isn't the father, though I appreciate the work:

PROV has a digitised will for a Philip CANTWELL, farmer of Ballan, d 22 March 1903.  The will has a codicil dated 1902 in which he mentions his wife, Mary CANTWELL, his daughter Bridget Angela and son Philip Silvester CANTWELL (sadly KIA in WW1), as well as his sister Ann CANTWELL.  My point being that this could not be the same Bridget who died in Collingwood in 1885 (replies#4 and #6), even though the parent names would appear to be the same.

Philip Sylvester's WW1 record is digitised at the National Archives - he gives his brother John as NoK, and his sister's name is listed as 'Angela' so perhaps her first name of Bridget was not used.  There is quite a lot of correspondence from "Angela' as tracing John P CANTWELL has proved elusive in this record. 

However, the brother John Patrick CANTWELL is  mentioned in the digitised probate papers as living in Oakleigh later. He states in the probate application that he has not been in contact with his stepmother or step sister - thus it appears that Philip CANTWELL was married twice.

There are quite few wills for CANTWELLs in Corop and in Ballan.

Not sure if this is helpful with your Mary but I had an interesting afternoon chasing Philip and his son Philip Si(y)lvester!

Judith

PROV has the digitised will for the Thomas CANTWELL, farmer of 'Rockley', Ballan, whose death Sue posted in reply #6

His wife is not named but is still alive (at the time he made the will in 1913); the children named in his will are:
John
Richard
Thomas Patrick
Michael Moylan
Mary Kate
Margaret Josephine
Theresa Bridget

Judith

Offline ClareCantwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Birth – Mary CANTWELL
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have all the details of Philip Cantwell who died in WW1, his parents, his brother John, and his half sister Angela Cantwell if you still have an interest. Thank you, zclare Cantwell